Going thru string too fast , whats wrong ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by redmax fan, Jul 16, 2014.

1. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

im running .80 square oregon gator in a shindiawa speed feed head

am i getting batches of brittle string , into second spool this year with same results

or is their a problem with this particular speed feed head ? i just put it on replacing previous speed feed which worked great

at same time i started into new spool of string , so cant say which is problem

i run redmax whip with guard removed
  2. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Switch to .95, that's pretty much the standard
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. redmax fan

ive been running .80 over a decade because our routes all established light duty whipping on quarter to half acre suburban lots with alot of detail work around homes downs spouts and siding etc , in this type whipping i find the thinner string has more bend to it which allows me to get it into real tight spaces without damaging siding and other stuff

and for years ide rewind a speed feed twice max per day unless i was doing several new jobs with alot of heavy stuff

but now on just normal route conditions im rewinding 4 times per day , and this is the second spool this season so i dont think its a bad batch of string

though like you say all our dealer has out is spools of .90 because thats what most use . they have to get our spools outta back room so maybe weeve got two bad / old spools in a row
  4. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Put the spool in a bucket of water overnight.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Does string brittle with age? Maybe it's the conditions they're being kept in. Maybe buy a small pack of .80 line from somewhere else and see how it goes. Go to HD and get a small pack of ugly line, it's pretty durable, and see how it does.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. redmax fan

we keep string in a 5 gallon bucket with lid on trailer . in top of lid i drilled a 1/8" hole in center for string to feed out of , you stand spool on end in bucket . and with the hole every time it rains water fills lid then drains into bucket through hole so strings always getting wet
  7. redmax fan

ya i'll try buying a small spool of something else , good idea
  8. Brules

Brules LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma

If exposed to lots of sunlight it can/will become more brittle due to UV breaking it down and dry conditions can dry it out.

Per Stihl:

9. WayneJessie

WayneJessie LawnSite Member

I've noticed that once my Speedfeed head got a little wear on it that the least little touch of the head on the ground will cause it to advance the line. It gets aggravating at times.
  10. groundskeeperllc

groundskeeperllc LawnSite Senior Member

I've tried that Oregon line before and it just wears fast, I've found that Echo Crossfire does the best for us in .95
    Posted via Mobile Device