Going to be a good year for lawn renovations!

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Jan 9, 2014.

1. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

Large patch of zoysia (formerly zoysia patch) is a real kick in the nuts too though. You having this issue?

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

You may need to learn how to take care of "Fescue'?

3. Hahaha Larry....we shall see, we shall see....from what I have heard, its a breeze compared to the stuff down here!

4. Yea, 2 of my Zoysia lawns have it. One is a new one I just started, but the other Ive been doing about 3 years and it shows up every year. Speaking of Aeration, that one is in dire need of it....gotta get them to let me do it this year. Back looks like crapola, compacted as heck.

5. fl-landscapes

Between reel mowing and zoysia patch it's probably good we both have greendoc on speed dial :laugh: I told him I was going to fly out to oahu and buy him dinner.......nice place to visit, we can make it a table for three! Wishful thinking, Hawaii is definitely on the bucket list though.

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, aerate, get trees casting shade thinned or cut back. Armada or Heritage, followed by Prostar.

7. greendoctor

Hybrid bermuda might have problems with all of the rain unless it is one of the new varieties that are partially shade tolerant. I am maintaining two Celebration lawns and one Tifgrand lawn. Both of those are doing much better than the common or older hybrids at this time of the year. Not enough sun and too much water will actually slow down bermuda. It is not like St Augustine.

8. greendoctor

I know a good steak house on the edge of Waikiki. This one is not for the tourists. It is first class.

9. fl-landscapes

10. greendoctor

Especially when trying to remedy SA severely mismanaged in the past. The only time I have seen thatched SA in my town are the lawns that are scalped, then fertilized. Wash, rinse repeat. The ones that are just scalped naturally covert to weeds. The SA lawns that are not cut too low, consequently not needing to be "greened up" after being cut within an inch of their life never need it. Of course, this is on SA growing on heavy red clay. On sand, SA, stays pretty thin. People do not water or fertilize it enough to cause problems.