Going to be a good year for lawn renovations!

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Jan 9, 2014.

2. I believe Celebration is the most common hybrid variety here. Do you cut yours 2x/week?

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

4. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

Sixty inches of rain in six months combined with high heat, humidity and long hours of sunlight and we can get 10" of growth a week without very much help from fert. That massive growth every week for months does cause thatch here. Throw in over fertilizing and irrigation running during rain storms and thatch gets real nasty here. But I concede your point irrigation, mowing, and fertilization management is important regardless of location

5. greendoctor

No need. It does not grow fast enough to need mowing twice a week here. At low heights of cut with a reel, that becomes the growth regulator for it. Low cut grass tends not to overgrow here. Even in summer, our daylength and average high temperatures are barely what bermuda needs. Grass behaves differently when it is not rotary mowed. Bermuda or zoysia becomes a fast growing shaggy mess when it is kept at over 3/4". What I do with my lawns is go as low as I can in summer and raise the HOC when the grass is not really growing. The people that cut lower when the grass is not growing really get into trouble. I know of zoysia lawns here that look nice, neat and manicured, but are pale. The lawn guy mows the lawn twice a month with a McLane set down to 1/4".

6. fl-landscapes

Ok 10" may be an exaggeration but you get the point

7. greendoctor

I can see that. My lawns would be on Primo if they ever grew 10" per week. It is not a habit for me, but I have done it to zoysia that grew more than 1" per week in spite of me restricting irrigation. Starving the grass is out because starved zoysia gets dollar spot bad.

8. hahahahaha

9. greendoctor

Not an exaggeration. I have seen 10" high lawns. My worst was an overfed zoysia lawn. The overfeeding was done with slow release granules so the poor guy had to deal with this for about 3 months.

10. fl-landscapes

I've thought long and hard about primo. In your experience do you get yellowing? And how long do you get growth suppression? I swear buy cuttless and atrimmec on ornamentals like sweet viburnum and buttonwood