Going to be a good year for lawn renovations!

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Verticutting

Verticutting LawnSite Member

2. here's a job i just bid on...referral from a friend.
    Empire that is getting cut with a 36" WB. Ruts everywhere as well as weeds and thatch. Needs the entire shebang. will see if i get it...
    [​IMG]

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
  3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Reel cut zoysia tends not to get weeds and thatch. However, ask yourself and the owner if zoysia is the right choice for that area. I see a lot of shade.

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Gonna need to do a bunch of topdressing to get that terraced look out of it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. apparently the owners didn't even want zoysia but a friend recommended they get it??

this pic was taken around 8am so most of the lawn gets plenty of sun
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. greendoctor

In wetter winters, zoysia lawns are susceptible to patch. Especially where there is any shade. I see strips of grass in between the house and tree rows. No reason why St Augustine would not be a better choice. Don't you just hate it when "friends" tell people to do things without having full appreciation of the consequences?

7. yea....the owners apparently wanted something with low(er) maintenance and this friend told them zoysia???
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Sure the grass advertised for years in Parade magazine as a miracle turf that will grow on concrete in the desert and only needs to be mowed twice a year. The power of marketing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Given the extreme rutting, maybe this property is over watered?

Is that the cheap plastic edging holding the mulch in? Maybe suggest replacing that also.

10. greendoctor

:dizzy: In Hawaii, zoysia is considered a high maintenance grass because it needs to be mowed low with a reel all the time, the dethatching, and the need for full sun. Low maintenance is St Augustine or Centipede.