going to buy a new pvc cutter

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by sheshovel, May 25, 2005.

1. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I seem to go thru pvc cutters too much.After about 4 or 5 jobs they start to cut wierd,the replacement blades are almost as much as buying a whole new cutter.I'm not talking a cheap cutter here,I buy mine for around $30.00 that may be cheap to you but not to me.Any cutters that last longer with a dependable consistant cut for awhile you might suggest?Might be just me cutting wrong,but it's kinda a no-brainer there,mabey I'm getting older pipe and don't know it and that's what's doing it?Shc40/shc80 3/4 and 1' is all I usually cut.
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

ever try resharpening the blade?
  3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

This is probably why I always buy the cheap ones off the supply house wall. I do replace blades sometimes, but not often enough. Seems like the blades "nick" and become all but useless. For sch pipe, have you tried hitting the blade/cutting area w/ a shot of primer right after you start your cut? I do this a lot with cutters I haven't quite replaced yet, and whenever I'm cutting "heavy" pipe.
  4. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Victor Cutters seem to hold up the best. Buy the replacement blades, and cut square with the pipe.

Or the old reliable hacksaw with 18t Lenox blade.
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I use Victor Rachetting cutters.

I find that the spring mechanism wears out before the blade does. If you keep your pipe clean of dirt while cutting, the blade will last for weeks. But just a one or two days of cutting dirty pipe and its over.
  6. sprinkler guy

sprinkler guy LawnSite Member

Are you using the Victor, the Reed, or the MCC? I assume it's one of those at the $30 mark, although that's a little cheap for a Victor cutter.

The Victor has the best track record for us.As Jon said, just make sure your cutting area isn't caked with dirt and the blade should last you weeks.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I remember being pleased as punch to see what looked like a Wheeler ratchet cutter in some discount store out west, on vacation, and bought a couple to bring home. What a joke. The blade folded up like a rubber knife, and the pipe jaw snapped like a pretzel.

A silver lining to the raincloud was the fact that I was able to pull out the pins and clips and other parts from the fakes and repair my genuine Wheelers with them.
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

It's a Victor and I try to not cut a dirty pipe,but...you know how that goes.I guess by reading your posts that I shoulden't have such high expectations from my blades,I was thinking they should last at least two SEASONS not WEEKS! This I think is my problem.I will try to resharpen the blade with my speediesharp,forget the hacksaw,I can't cut a streight pipe like that for the life of me.I will have to order replacement blades too,cuz they never have them in stock(gee wonder why?)
  9. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

A Dremel with a 220 grit sanding wheel & a very light touch will get your blade back to extra-sharp in less than a minute.
  10. 2 seasons...I wish! My guys buy 1 blade each per week in Arizona.
    Here in Colorado though, those cheapie....Kwik Kuts....seem to last forever! Poly is soft. Heh heh...one more reason to like cold weather markets...oh yeah, no glue on my hands either!