Going to buy Green Industry books, which ones

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JML, Dec 5, 2000.

1. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to buy 2 books for myself for christmas. Which two should i buy? thanks
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

speaking of books has anyone heard from our authors? to answer your question i have two books from bill phagan and am very pleased.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Read ALL the posts from Lawnsite and save your money.
  4. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I have 3 books from Bill Phagan and they suck!
  5. greenlawncare

greenlawncare LawnSite Member

Instead of blasting the guy's books why not be more civil and mature and state why your needs were not satisfied by the books so that your experience can actually be of some value?
  6. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Didn't know that you were appointed to judge content worth and maturity.
    That was my opinion.
    I personally didn't like them because they are very vague and incomplete. Not very straighforward. Sorry i have a hard time putting my thoughts down without being an articulated individual like you
  7. PLM 2

PLM 2 LawnSite Member

After reading these you can get consulting or attend one of their seminars. Depending on which one matches your operating procedures the best.
    Huston (800) 451-5588
    Vander Kooi, Look in trade Magazines for Phone or search web. Address: PO Box 621759, Littelton, CO 80162 (I couldn't find Phone #)
  8. mowing king

mowing king LawnSite Member
    from ct

I love to read and have spent thousands on book and tapes.The must reads are think and grow Rich and the E myth. Get a audio tape series on goal setting and listen to it in your truck and a sales tape series. the green books i recommend anything from Roy Rubenthal, the most detailed how to do business books, for seeding,mowing etc. Marty Grunders Marketing system is outstanding, Phil has good books too. It really depends on what you want to improve. sales,operations, marketing,training ? Dwight hughes has a book and tape on operations. Robin Perotti has a good book for selling aeration. Vandoor KOi on estimaing. Grunder for marketing and sales. let me know what subjects you want to read about. i have all these books and videos. if i get one thing out of each that makes me money it was worth it.
  9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

"I personally didn't like them because they are very vague and incomplete. Not very straighforward."

This is typically the type of info you get from consultants (and not just green industry types, it goes for all sectors). They leave just enough out, so you need to buy the next installment to get the whole picture (except for the bit thats left out of vol. 2).
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Lawnguy, I noticed that whenever neilson posted or when i went to his website "classes" some vague s**t. I dont know why but Todd made me laugh. Straight to the point is what we need sometimes :)