1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Going to irrigation training camp!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by pasto_guy, Oct 16, 2005.

1. pasto_guy

pasto_guy LawnSite Member
    from VA

I'm signing up tomorrow for Rainbirds irrigation training camp. Have any of you been? Is it worth the money? I really don't know that much about irrigation, but have been wanting to learn for quite some time. Nobody in my area does it. Any pointers or ideas are welcomed. Thanks
  2. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Are you talking about the one in Vegas? I might go for the simple fact that you can write the trip off as an expense. I have gone through their design and service camps 3 times each and with the way new technology is going it could only benefit.
  3. pasto_guy

from VA

Not going to the one in Vegas. I'd like to but the wife won't go for that one. Not unless I take her. So instead I'm going to Denver. She doesn't like the cold. Is it pretty informative?
  4. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

If you are just getting into irrigation I would say that it is a must do.
  5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Any professional training is worth the price. Most likely they will push their products (which are good) but as you can see from this forum we all have our likes and dislikes based on years of experience. You'll then have to weed through everything after your done. Some ideas will work well for your specific situations while others will work less. However, the theory behind hydrolics is a proven given and you can't go wrong. AND... don't be afraid to ask questions.

Good luck and have fun!
  6. pasto_guy

from VA

Thanks for the replies. I am excited. Just booked my airline tickets. Are there any trade magazines that you guys are familiar with? Ones that are specific to the irrigation industry?
  7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would love to hear your feedback whenever you get back
  8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't found a trade magazine thats really worth much. I get Landscape and Irrigation and its usually poorly written articles by people that have no trenchtime with tons of ads.

I'd like to write for one personally...it would be fun.
  9. JQLC

JQLC LawnSite Member

I went to the 2 day session in NJ last January. It did a quick intro into trouble shooting, rotors and valves, wire tracing, and a very brief design class. All in all it was well worth the price. Would like to go back for a more focused design class.. Have fun..