Going to pass on pruning job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chesterlawn, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

This is exaxctly right.

It's also one of the reasons I'll never work for one of them.

2. leon2245

leon2245 LawnSite Member

Assuming you didn't price it according to what putting up with said nationality would have been worth to you, why even give an estimate? Just so it's not obvious you're discriminating? I say I that case just name whatever price that WOULD have made answering his questions worthwhile. Because as it stands now you're going to come off a little unprofessional for having quoted a price, then saying lol never mind I don't want to do it, after he agrees. Though Not as unprofessional as if he found out the real reason, on the internet! Still my vote is to answer his q's, take his dirty shekels, & GIT-R DUN!!

I break it down like this- if your rate is higher than mine, then you're a low life. Charge less than me? Low baller. It's not that complicated. Kind of like the freeway. Everyone driving faster than me is crazy, & everyone slower is an idiot. Set your cruise control to MY speed, charge my hourly rates, & we're cool!

on a side note, did anyone actually think a thread title as controversial as "going to pass on a pruning job" wouldn't incite several pages of outrage here?

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

So if my rates are higher than yours I'm a ripoff. Really genius? First how would I lnow your rate, second why would I care. I guarantee my costs are different than yours as everybody in this thread has different operating costs. Your painting with too broad a brush there my friend.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

OP, like others said, you can't just walk away after giving price & saying you will be there in about a week. Does your price include PITA charge? If the job goes smooth (guy not being PITA) & you complete in the 2hrs or less like you estimate & can afford to budge on price then offer discount when completed. Say something like "I quoted $250 but it's only gonna be $200 today" People like paying less than what was quoted.

If you really don't wanna do it...I'd spell everything out in writing on work order & swing by today & have him sign. Tell him you didn't have any with you @ time of estimate & you don't do work without them. It protects you (client) & me (business). If he refuses to sign then you have a way out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

After thinking about it, the season is winding down and I can use the money so I'll probably do it. If it turns out the way I bet it does I'll post back. If you guys think about it you average $60 cutting lawns which doesn't take much skill, doubling that wage for skilled labor like pruning is more than fair. Anyway what I'm going to do is just show up at his house without calling and do the job, there is no reason why he has to be there and I'll just say I was in the area working at another property.

6. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I really hope for your sake that when and if you show up to do this work and the customer is not present, you actually do the job and the customer arrives later asking you why did you do this job?, I have already hired someone else.
    I am sure the look on both of your faces would be priceless.
    easy-lift guy

7. chesterlawn

That would be funny, like using your easy lift and getting tangled up in trees.

8. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

My product has nothing to do with your in ability to cope with a customer and holding the customer to his word by having a work order signedby both you and the client, in the first place. Please keep the forum informed about this customer who has tried to take advantage of you and your business.
    easy-lift guy

9. leon2245

leon2245 LawnSite Member

You raise a valid question...

Hey 32vld, how is everyone supposed to know our fee schedule, to avoid charging different rates than us (thereby becoming either a low baller or criminal)? I mean i can shoot Patriot Services a quick PM, since he asked, but in general, for everyone else?

10. chesterlawn

You don't understand why I posted, it wasn't about the price or getting paid, it was about this customer being a pita which a work order would not solve. Once I am done I could get nit picked to death by this certain person, which has always happened in the past. Do you understand?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.