1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Going to pass on pruning job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chesterlawn, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I understand, I really do wish you the best in spite of your customer.
    easy-lift guy

2. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ain't that the truth.

3. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

A work order would solve some things. "Hey, I thought you were gonna prune the rose bushes?....Yes I can, but roses would be extra. Look at the work order, they are not included." Or "Hey can you cut them branches 1' up off the ground...Yes I can, but it'll be extra! Look at the work order, it is pruning, not raising bottom 1' off the ground." If he plans on trying to get extras or pull a fast one, he probably won't sign a thing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  4. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Everyone is not suppose to know what a particular LCO's fee schedule is.

I live in a high cost of living area. I only get $60 an hr to do hedges. At that price I only get half the jobs I quote. I don't know of people getting $125 hr to do standard hedges on Long Island. Though I don't do the mansions on the Gold Coast, or the South Fork. Those places have some tall hedges.

Even if the hedges were extremely tall, and or over grown, ladders and scaffolding needed, trimmers with 40" bars, extension shafts on power heads, only makes the job longer to do. More hours does not make the hourly rate charge go higher.

5. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't matter if you have them sign a work order in front of a notary, a judge and a minister. I've had them still nickle and dime at the time of payment. Besides, there is no way to cover all the minute details when writing a work order leaving some things to interpretation. These people are good at using just that against you. The only way you are going to beat these people at their own game is by getting payment upfront and good luck with that. :hammerhead:

6. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

You shall get what the market shall bare. All markets are different.
    easy-lift guy

7. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

To the op, i would say i agree with you. If you can get $125 for an hours worth of work GO FOR IT.. That is between you and your customer. Most all LCO would say though that $60 an hour is what they charge in order to make money. I would however say for the landscaping part especially when doing an install, get that stuff in writting, that way he can't come back to you and say you were supposed to do more work or something other than what's in the contract. Another thing if the homeowner request that they be there when you do the work i would also say it's best that he or she is there. There property there rules.. Just do what you discussed with him and everything will probably be ok. As far as not doing the job after you agreed to it, just make sure to call him back and at least tell him you just overbooked yourself and he would have to find someone else to do the job. Either way good luck with your descion...

8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

No!

The hourly rate has everything to do with the cost of the equipment, nothing more, less or else.
    Some might think it takes a lot of skill to prune bushes but I can tell you it's no more rocket science to it than cutting grass, I can buzz some wack bushes right back into shape in no time flat and one handed and clean up and all, even way overgrown crap I can take it down and have it all neat in 1-2 hours but what do I get paid for that?

A Ztr might GROSS me $60 mh but that's because the dang MACHINE cost 10 thousand!!!
    Because AFTER I am done PAYING for the MACHINE I still have to pay taxes and what's left?
    Maybe $10 an hour...

So guess what, your dang $300 hedge trimmers is a lot closer to $20 a man hour.
    Once again AFTER I am done PAYING for the MACHINE I still have to pay taxes and what's left?
    Maybe $10 an hour...

Yes, maybe!

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

My thinking is pretty much along the same lines. I have a rate I like to get for just myself and then I add to that depending on what equipment I'll need for the job. If it's heavy labor I'll bump it up for that as well as for chain saw work. If it gets to the point of heavy equipment it's a day rate.

10. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

time to wrap this one up guys and move on

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.