Lawn Care Forum banner

going to pull the trigger on a ground fault

13K views 82 replies 13 participants last post by  1idejim 
#1 ·
locator..

Don't want to spend much money but i know I have to...I hate used stuff and could of used one twice this week...

pretty excited....

it's the last tool i need in my arsenal to be a cut above the rest.

#10 ·
the pro-800 in the right hands has the ability to out perform any other irrigation specific locator that exists. i use mine more often than i would have ever guessed, i have found vertical well casings as well as 21 solenoids in the wireless broadcast mode. the broadcast mode gives me access to systems that i would have to wait for someone to unlock. i set up over the wire path and trace my way to a valve and go from there. wireless also lets me sweep for buried metal objects and utilities easily. as you might have guessed eddie i am very impressed with the broadcsast feature, more than i thought i would be.

having both peak and null reception features allows for target identification and accuracy verification. i have to run right now but could go on for an hour about what i like.

what don't i like, only a couple of things but i was informed that the new run of the 800 has addressed my concerns.

Baxter Black show in redding tonight

#16 ·
nothing jim.. I'm going to a job tomorrow where there is an extremely shallow 13 strand wire and a recently aerated lawn. Kinda told the supply house they F'd me..they said I could use a 700 but i don't have time to drive to supply house and back.. Thankfully the area I know in question with the shallow wire is close to the clock... I can give a Mexicalli repair job and replace 20/30 feet of wire I hope in the trouble area..

Crazy enough most of the valves on the strand maybe 7 in total were operational.. Of course the spare wires in the strand had to be completely chopped off so just moving some connections around giving a resistance reading of OL..

The 7 or so valves that were giving resistance were well over 700 ohms telling me i have some serious cuts in this wire in more than 1 area...As crazy as it sounds the H/O told me there was no digging in any of the areas in plantings beds where I thought the wire would be cut. I'm taking a shower the other night thinking about this issue, remember seeing the areator plugs being deep in the lawn maybe 2-3 inches...Bingo that must be the issue... It has to be... So since I don't have the GFL and the area in question is close the clock im going to cut the 13 strand in the planting bed where i really feel the wire is intact and good..

so from where i cut the wire to the vb im going to test resistance and if the WM valves in the ground give me 55 or so ohms i know its good...

kinda tired and a little buzzed.. about to pass the fout from gorging myself at dinner with food and drink...

good times.

#26 ·
in a few years I'll be in his relm.. now im the pup with some cool tools....and im cool asking you all for help and stuff...

you all def increased my trouble shooting skills many times over..
The guy @ the wharehouse tells me very few people ask for the tools and tech questions that I put out..

I've had some good teachers and would love to teach the right guy if he can show me he cares..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.