going to pull the trigger on a ground fault

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

+ 1 on the head phones.

I get mixed signals near metal like gas meters, edging and worse is pool pumps.

Nicks and broken wires are my weakness, the signal does not pop like it should when I hit the end of the line. Valves no problem.

I have read and re-read the manual several times in the last 5 years

2. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Needle in a haystack?
    No problem with a fault finder!
    White AND red wire used as common? A minor annoyance with the proper equipment!
    Well, I was fuming a bit but I am pretty backed up. :laugh:

CIMG0477.JPG

CIMG0479.JPG

CIMG0489.JPG

CIMG0491.JPG

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Slime, pure slime. :hammerhead:

4. Fault finder is a jewel tool. It really feels good to nail a problem wire and dig a small hole knowing exactly where the issue is.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Not you, Sprinkus, the installer gets the slime vote.

6. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Wire all turns dark after a while any way. You are lucky

I have also found old installs with telephone wire. It amazed me it lasted 20 years.

7. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
    How true!
    Apparently this was a system the builder had put in. There are so many other issues with this system that I am ready to limp away screaming.

8. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Rumor has it builder contractors do things poorly so they get the service work later. They need that because they give away the installs. Rightly so since many builder installs are worthless.

Missing wire nuts, 3 valves in a 6 in round, poor zoning, spraying across walks, running in straight lines causing uneven pressures.

I make a decent living repairing track home installs and the good old fashioned loose connection.

9. My experience with contractors that install systems in tract homes is they rarely get heavy into service. A few do but those are the ones that do a pretty decent job. The pizzpoor work inmo is due to plain old incompetence and lack of supervision.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

.. Pita = $$

Don't forget cutting corners which is the biggest reason of all. Everyone knows those waterproof connectors are way more expensive than a little tape or that wire nut rolling around on your truck floor. :dizzy: