going to pull the trigger on a ground fault

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Apr 18, 2012.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Due to the recent demise of my Dynatel 573DL i just ordered a GFL3000 from Armada. I hope i transition to it quickly. I have an existing system expansion locate and evaluation set for the 3rd and will need it then.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

My Armada fault finder made its way to me today and it's being charged right now.

Sadly i had to put my Dynatel 573DL down last week. The GFL goes to work next week though (after a practice run or 2).

Will try to post pics this weekend. I have a dive job this afternoon
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Once you get it charged, make sure you send it to its proper home. ;)

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

what happened to the Dynatel?

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

The transmitter LCD began blinking. Means that the machine needs repair. Nothing works and it's gonna take 4-6wks and mucho denaro to resolve. The 3000 was a good choice.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Jim, I'll be interested to hear how you fare with the GFL3000. I have one and really haven't had a lot of success with it. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or if it's got some fault in it.

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I set up a direct fault using 18 ga wire tonite.

I measured short to earth of the wire 1881

The general earth conductivity was 900

The conductivity at the ground stake was 099 / 082 modified

Condvctivity at the fault was 585

All measurements were taken with a DMM set at 2000kohms.

Basically the ground conditions were what i would be seeing in jvne/july in my area.

With the transmitter set on low, receiver sensitivity at 12 o'clock i had detectable kick 30 ft from the fault in any direction and good kick at 6 o'clock.

I wet the return path and the response increased at lower sensitivity levels.

I noticed the fault directional change is about 4 in inside the frame. Don't know if this helps or not.

Give me a few weeks and i can prolly tell you more.

I miss the Dynatel, i have been spoilt. LCD, current strength, resistance and continuity readings for return paths. Aw what a machine she was.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Wet_Boots

seems you'd be in a good position to grab one of the used/tested transmitter units on eBay

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Boots, thought of that. Maybe, maybe not.

Here are a few random pics from the last few weeks.

well i guess not, the system won't upload due to a missing token, WTF????:hammerhead:

10. Wet_Boots

For the money, it seems a no-brainer, as there must be thousands of those 573's out there, still working, even as they're retired and replaced.