Going to the Board Room

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clallen03, May 21, 2007.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I going to meet with the board members on my first commercial account. This is a HOA that I will be maintaining the common areas and front and back entrance ways.
    Today they called and asked to meet with me and to bring a copy of my contract.

What should I expect?

2. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

Expect to be 100% professional. Get every thing ironed out up front. What you expect to be doing. Find out what their expectations are.

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree.

HOA board members, though they can be very friendly, expect professionalism and that you know what you're doing.

Be prepared to answer a barrage of questions and be sure that your contract is written in stone so there are zero loopholes.

4. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Im a little nervous because the VP is the husband of a friend and he always is so very professional. This guy was the minister of my wedding and he always is so uptight. I thought he would loosen up after he got to know me, but that hasn't been the case.

What type of question do they normally ask? What do they want to hear? Im a two man operation should I make myself sound big then I am?

Any more information will be great.
    Thanks

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well idk what they will ask you but I would answer the questions honestly, saying this because I've been down this road of trying to sound off and that can backfire, just tell the truth then it can't hurt you later for it.

Always, if you lose a job because you told the truth, it is better than you getting the job because you lied.
    Now I don't volunteer stuff I don't have to tell them, so just answer the questions, you are under no obligation to go further, and it likely won't hurt if you don't.

But I am pretty sure everything will be just fine, have a nice day, smile a little, it's not that big of a deal.

6. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

This is your chance to make sure they understand what the contract includes and does "not include". You can make that crystal clear and it's to your advantage.

If you're so nervous, just wear depends and let them shoot those questions...:laugh: :laugh:

Like topsites says, smile and don't talk too much. Stay to the point and don't ramble... seriously, you'll encounter many more of these meetings in your life so go with the flow.

:)

7. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Once you get in there you'll be fine, just don't over think yourself. Remember you know more than they do, you're the expert. Stay firm and confident when they ask you questions. Best of Luck YOUR HIRED!

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

See! Topsie DOES give some good advice. And I agree with this 100%. Never try to mislead a customer or potential customer. It will come back to bite you.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Funny I did many HOA estimates years ago and never met with "The Board" (are you the "Project Manager" by the way :laugh: ) Typically I would meet with someone on the board to walk the property, then write up the bid and submit it. Never was asked to meet with the whole board. Seemed like there was always one person with enough sense to realize they needed to hire a company before we were 2 months into the growing season, and they would try to push it through.

Yeah, now the THIRD time I agree with Topsites. I guess in 7,000 posts there's sure to be a gem in there somewhere :laugh:

10. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

There's always a 1st time for something, lol, J/K Topsites.