going to verticut empire zoysia next week

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Nov 6, 2013.

1. going to be verticutting, aerating, and TD an empire zoysia lawn that is in pretty bad shape. i know its Russian roulette this time of year but it looks real bad right now. im going to put down perennial rye as an insurance policy in case it gets cold. ill post pics next week.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

The timing seams all wrong...but I guess if all parties involved know the risk...experiment away and keep us posted on the results. :)

3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Wouldn't it be better to do this when the grass is going to be actively growing so it can recover? I would think the rye would only compete and inhibit the recovery of the zoysia.

4. yup it was explained. its in such bad shape now that there won't be much difference.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. yes of course but its in terrible shape...they either look at the mess all winter or let it recover and have solid turf in spring.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

If I were to do what your doing I would spray that rye out next spring with a selective herbicide. Two competing grasses, one coming out of semi dormancy and one dying from heat looks like crapola. Spraying the rye will give the zoysia a better start going into summer if it's not competing with that rye. Just my opinion

7. thanks Brian.
    Plantculture already talked me out of the rye so it will just be let the zoysia fill back in.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't want to rain on your parade and advise against the rye but I'm glad to here you decided not to do it. As far as aerate and verticut I dont think your doing any permanent damage, it's just going to take longer to bounce back in cool weather. But if there's serious thatch and compaction problem I would do it too. Grass is still growing its not like you have fear of a frost.

9. no rain at all...im here to learn.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. exactly plus we typically have temps that are 10 degrees higher than you guys...
    Posted via Mobile Device