going to verticut empire zoysia next week

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Nov 6, 2013.

1. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

It's not that overseeding can't be done. Golf courses and ball fields do it all the time, especially just north of us. But it's a pain in the butt to deal with.

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I alaways firured it the rye was kept cut real low, it wouldn't affect the summer grass, and when it died off the roots would break down and improve as well as areate the soil.

3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

OK, was thinking grass was going into dormancy. Wasn't thinking of where you were.

4. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

Not really and not in my personal experience. If your overseeing it's usually because the permanent grass is dormant. When it's coming out of dormancy it doesn't want to compete for sun, water, fertilizer and the transition isn't smooth. Like I said over seeding is done a lot on dormant turf, I just recommend selectively killing the temporary grass with chemicals for a smoother transition. Then yes I suppose it would break down and help the soil. Of course this is just my opinion.

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I think you'll be fine. The bad spots I was fixing on my new Zoysia yards are continuing to fill in. It's still plenty warm here. I'm feeling a warm winter coming.:usflag:

6. Verticutting

Verticutting LawnSite Member

If your in Florida, please see verticutting.blogspot.com

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Two pieces of advice. Spellcheck for starters. Secondly post pictures of verticutting southern grasses. Is Verticutting the actual name of your company?
    Posted via Mobile Device