Going under parking lot

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mikegyver, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I know there are tricks to the trade I could learn, particularly on installs.

LOL, Mr Steve he does have LI and BPAT in his sig.

2. Duekster

from DFW, TX

$.02 Trenching is often less than boring.

I am not a parking lot expert but I would think saw cutting, throwing down a sleeve and plently of spare wire is the key here.

You need to make nice with an experiance GC in your area about what is the best way to do this.

There are risk and as the story goes, the higher the risk the greater the reward. Then you have the friend issue.

I do not think connection to the restaurant water would be bad with a RZ. New small meter is often better on commerical irrigation. All have cost.

Pictures might help us get the lay of the land

3. mrsteve

mrsteve LawnSite Member

My bad, didn't read that far down. Must be the heat. I could learn a lot about installs too, but at this stage I'll stay with repair. Been there done that on installing.

4. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I would rather repair and trouble shoot too.

5. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get someone to do a directional bore. They can do 1-4" sleeve. It prob aint cheap but cutting up parking lots and patching doesnt leave as good of a finishing product.

6. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

How many feet is it? I have bored under a parking lot with my dingo boring unit when i had to.

7. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

cut the asphalt, trench or dig it with a mini, put a sleeve in an fill and patch it.

8. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like I have a 65' trench to take out to a 17X60' bed (has maybe 10 sqft of turf, will include it in the same zone), then a 40' trench to take to a 5x5 bed next to the main entrance, then the main area which has a large (varies in width 6-12'x110') turf area and (14x45-56') shrub bed. The city main is in the main area. The areas we have to take the trenches through are full of utilities :(. I will try to get some pics uploaded.

9. stebs

stebs LawnSite Senior Member

One thing you might look into is how the city charges sewer fees for commercial businesses... You might be money ahead to put a seperate "irrigation" meter in that does not charge sewer fees on the water used for irrigation.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We was just quoted $6K to jupgrade the meter size....unbelievable. There was a list of about 10 items including an engr study. A new service cost about $12k in our city. Very business friendly.