Going under sidewalks

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bobw, Dec 20, 2006.

1. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Does anybody have any suggestions for easier/faster ways to bore under sidewalks for getting pipe under?

I've been using the old post and sledge hammer approach, but I seriously need to have a better way.

The trick is that (and get ready for this)... On the sites I need this the most, I have no access to a hose bibb, so tools like borit won't work.

Unfortunately, one of the MURBs (Multi-Unit Residential Building sites) I'm doing poured all their sidewalks and forgot to drop sleeving in.

Any ideas?

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I use the sledge hammer / 5' pry bar setup. It usually works pretty well but I only do it once or twice a year. Our install crews usually use the drill on the front of the vibe plow as long as they have room for the machine and 1 bit.

3. Lawn 'N' Order Landscape

Lawn 'N' Order Landscape LawnSite Member

I do the same as PSUturf, hammer and 5' conduit. I know its not easiest or the most efficient but it works. I would also be curious to find out any new ideas.

4. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

PSU - what plow are you using that you have a drill on the front? Around here, we are all using Ditchwitch 100Sx's as its the only thing that fits through gates and is ok with the smaller yards we have here. I'd love to get a better plow, but I haven't seen a different setup that works

5. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

255sx. i've never bored with it, but that's the one, can fit through a standard gate.

i use the fence post and sledge method... works just fine. on longer shots (driveways and water services), we use the a bullet, or mole, whatever you call it.

pg

6. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

We use Case Maxi Sneaker. I have also used the Ditch Witch 255sx with drill. Personally I like the Ditch Witch better than the Case. Dingo TX is another machine that can be equipped with a drill. The Dingo's a great machine but it needs more weight on the back end if you're going to run the vibe plow a lot.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've dug under 6' sidewalks with nothing more than a sharpshooter and and a bad mood.

You can't just drive a stake under our walks here, it would just smack into a football sized rock.

Most of the times the tunnel under the sidewalk ends up big enough to fit a 6" pipe through :)

8. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

If you are using the case maxi then it should have a bore unit on it, if not get one!! it will pay for itself MANY times over, we use case mini's and all of them have bore units on them, I would never try and bore without one.

9. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

We have a 2" auger bit for a drill. Works awesome just be careful cause if it catches on a rock you could break a rist on a stought drill. I have no idea where we got it but im sure you could search on the internet for it.

How good does the borit tool work.

10. B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc LawnSite Member

I have a vermeer bore rig that can bore under anything. You might look at renting one if you have several to do. Mine is self contained with a 500 gal tank on the trailer and a 50 gal on the unit itself and hoses to reach across ground to refill.