going under sidewalks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Branchland, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I've got about 30 feet of 4 inch corrigated drainpipe to run from a downspout. The only problem is I've got to go under a sidewalk. The sidewalk is 3 feet wide but I've got to go at a angle so it'll probaly be about 4 feet. Any ideas on the best way to go under it?

2. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

get some 3/4 inch pvc, you would need like 2 or 3 feet.. make it so the one end can attach to a hose and on the other end put a cap and drill a hole as big as a pencil... Then you need to dig two holes on each side of the sidewalk where you want to start and end..... Use the pvc tool you built as a water pick to borrow out a hole.....

Or you can get yourself one of those small skinny shovels and dig out a hole....

i have had success both ways. The pvc method is a little muddy but is effortless... the shovel method is work.....

3. grassworks

grassworks LawnSite Member

Some Companies specialize in boring under drives and sidewalks. Try the yellow pages under boring or you can rent a machine from most rental yards that will do the job if you feel adventerous.( ditch witch w/attachments) .

4. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Lowes sells a boring kit. IT is the tip you put on a pvc pipe. I did one through clay sand and gravel (30-40") and it took me about 25 mins including digging trench on both sides.

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

the pvc ideas are great EXCEPT he need to get a 4" drain pipe through there.

a nursery spade or trenching shovel is the bestbet.

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Hydrobore with a gardenhose and pressure nozzle.

7. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

The ground is packed red clay. Will the lowes boring kit go through that? And how much? I was just going to use a hand spade to dig it out but thought there might be a better way.

8. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

Ran into the exact same thing 2 years ago and had to run under a 5' wide sidewalk. Maybe this isn't the "textbook way to do it," but what we did is I had a guy dig 4-5 feet on each side and start burrowing from each side with a skinny trenching shovel. He dug half way on one side and half way on the other. After he got through, he cleaned it out so the 4" pipe would fit through. It worked well and it took about an hour. That was 2 years ago and all is still working great :)

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

exactly what we do with large pipe like that

10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I also wonder how well the hydraulic method works in packed clay. Suppose it would work little by little. No clay out here, just lava rock, basalt, and knuckle breaking jagged rocks. Along with the trenching shovel, I commonly use a 25 pound pry bar chisel. Punching that first hole all the way through is the toughest part, and sometimes you only have room to attack it from one end. Personally, I hate having to do this work.