Going Up On Pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Team Landscaping, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, whats the best way to go up with my prices? In a polite way that adults will consider "acceptable". It's just time to go up with my prices so I can afford to make more more money. I'm not trying to be greedy, but it's just going to be so I can afford investments. And I'm talking about for fall clean ups with hourly rates. I was planning on going from $10/ man hour to $20/ man hour. Thats just where it's at to keep my friends out of Market Basket and at my job.
  2. tell them your not doing it for beer money anymore.
  3. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

So you were only charging 10 an hour with your own equipment and your own gas ? Think of it this way, a back pack will burn about .7 gallons per hour, at 3.35 a g thats 2.35 per hour plus the oil for mix. A good blower will cost you 450- 500 dollars. I see that you are only 15 but you should be trying to get closer to 25 an hour. The rest of us that are doing things right are going from 40 an hour and up. And even there its tuff to make money.
  4. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Stop working for free. Your only hurting all of us who are trying to make a living at this. Know your costs and start charging accordingly.
  5. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I charge $90.00 for the first hour and $40.00 each hour after that. Im solo BTW.
  6. Green Team Landscaping

Alright. So when I go up on the price, how do I say it to them? And $25 sounds like a good price. I think I'll stick with that. the thing is though, it's going to be $25/ man hour. Is that alright? Do you think people will pay?
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Hell yeah lol I tell you my mind was prepping up some sage advice until I saw the hourly rate bit,
    soon as I saw that it just kinda fumbled everything around.

Brother, you gots to get paid more than that, way more, way way.

Now so, ahem...
    The easy way to do it is since you already have regular customers is quote by the JOB!
    That way you just basically tell your customers the TOTAL should be about the same as last year,
    they should be fine with that, if you have to tell them that hourly isn't always fair that you think since it should
    be about the same amount of work as it was last year that you foresee the total price being about the same.
    So if it cost 70 last year it probably will cost 70 this year, maybe a little more or less, depends because
    you're getting some new powerful equipment that will allow you to knock this nonsense out, right?
    So they will, most likely, go for that.
    Because you can, with a decent backpack blower like the BR-600, easily make up the time to where you're
    earning 20-30 an hour, way it works is it's the same dollar amount in the end but you get done so
    much faster then you knock it out in half the time it used to take and everybody's happy.
    Hopefully that works out for you.

Peace out
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  8. Green Team Landscaping

Thank you man! Just bought that BR600, and man does it have power. It's ridiculous how powerful those things are compared to the homeowner quality.
  9. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

You have a long list of professional equipment, it's time to start charging people what professionals are charging. It's almost low-balling.
  10. Green Team Landscaping

I know. Thanks guys. The only reason why I havent done this before is because I would rather have the job, than not get it, and starting out this was enough because I didnt have investments like I have now. Thanks again guys for bringing me back down to earth with this.