Going with Shaw's this year

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greenbaylawns, Mar 4, 2008.

1. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

Now Dang it I know the prices are going up but I'm not going down with out a fight. Found a new supplier yesterday. Just a simple 5 or 6 step program is all we do and it is very effective. All granular with a spot spray when needed.(all 50 lb bags but 1) Step 1. new supplier $16.60, Lesco $25.00. Step 2. new supplier $16.60, Lesco $22.51. Step 3 new supplier $27.00 (only a 40 pound bag) Lesco $40.00. Step 4 new supplier $17.67, Lesco $26.00. Step 5 new supplier $17.86, Lesco $24.81. Step 6 new supplier $18.47 Lesco $25.86. Well been with Lesco for 7 years, time to part ways my friend. :waving:

2. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

shaws is the name of supplier. did you check on what your getting for that price. form of nitrogen, percent of slow release etc. If your not getting straight urea might be a decent deal.

3. greenbaylawns

1 & 2 are 20-2-5 .86 pendi, 3 is 15-2-5 .2% Merit, 4 is 18-0-18 50% Slow, 5 is 24-4-12 25% slow, and 6 is 34-0-7 20% slow. I was comparing them to the Lesco type we used and its pretty close to the same thing.

4. wiseguyslawn

from Ohio

nice to see someone saving some $ are they only located in ur area.

5. greenbaylawns

Yes in Omaha. Had me a little worried, but what do ya do. I like the Lesco product just don't want to pay so much for it anymore

6. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Shaws makes an OK product although I noticed that their particle sizes were not uniform which makes the smaller particles go to the bottom resulting in uneven spreading. If you are looking to save money then thats fine but cheap tends to be cheap. One thing I would question is why so much Nitrogen. Seems like a lot to me over the course of a season.

7. wiseguyslawn

from Ohio

I agree 3-5 lbs of N per 1,000 max.

8. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

What rates are those nitrogen apps? I would say they better not be anymore than .5-.75 lbs N /1000.

In our area 3.5-4.5 lbs N is good enough, 3.5 if the clippings are returned to the lawn via mulching or side discharging. 4 - 4.5 is enough if the clippings are collected. Of course this is for a typical lawn not all lawns are typical.

9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Our land-grant U suggests the max = 5 lbs N per 1000 sq ft for high maintenance Kentucky bluegrass lawns. (some LCO's try to sell up to 7 ferts per year???) We have locked in prices for fert/pre & balanced fert (all slow release products) for under $14 per 50 lb bag. We have "pre-ordered" 156 tons of product thru UAP. I dickered too long with LESCO cuz their price per bag jumped two dollars overnight. That's when they lost our business, and we had used LESCO for many years --200 tons per year. Now I'm wondering if the John Deere/LESCO merger had something to do with this???

Also found out that 'LESCO/John Deere Landscape' is different from 'John Deere Landscapes'. I know everything will work out in the end. Reason: their fine employees.:usflag:

10. wiseguyslawn

from Ohio

may sound like a dumb question who is UAP?