Golf corse work

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Duck Dodger, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

I'm making a late career change not too late I'm only 28. I'm about to start classes for turf grass & golf corse management. I know I will have to work up from assistant superintendant just wondering how hard it will be and what pay I can expect to get started. I know most superint. around here make 60k-80k just wondering what someone with lots of irrigation and landscape experience could expect to make starting out. Thanks for any insight.

2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

It all depends on what you want to make out of your career. You will have an oppertunity to go to pretty much anywhere for your internship. Basically, if you want to make high dollar in the golf course business, you are going to intern at a prestigious course, probably something in the top 100 in the country. After your internship, you will pobably have the oppertunity to stay on as mybe a crew foreman or spray tech. After a couple of years there, the sup. would probably recomend you for a sup job, but might not be that high dollar yet until you prove yourself. Also, the course you decide to work at could come back to haunt you in the future if it ever becomes a dog track.
    Basically, 1.go to turf school and get a general understanding of growing healthy turf and being able to identify problems and have ways to find a solution. 2. Intern in an area where you might want to work so you can understand and know the timing of applications and renovations. 3. be able to lead the crew. 4. Be ready to put in some LONG hours being an assistant. 5. Be ready to put in even longer hours as a sup.
    Depending on the area, assist. can make up to 35k with housing (just passed up a job like that this spring to start my own thing.) Stay away from working in the south. Been there done that. 36 holes and crappy pay plus the only bentgrass expierience is on the greens. Their are a lot of high end jobs all over the place but you need to find an area where there are more really nice, high end, private clubs. good luck!

3. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Just graduated turf shcool... 3 great internship, two at high end private clubs and one at very exclusive private club in ct. Got an assistant job at a very high end private course in syracuse for a super. I did and internship for. Making in the 30s with benifits plus other percs. Good luck... great business to be in.. be ready to work a lot of hrs,, last summer as an intern I was working 60 to 70 plus hrs a week ...Hope it works out for you... check out www.turfnet.com for local jobs under the employment section great web site they got....

4. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for that link I got one leed from it already. I will stay in the south even if the pay isn't as good as other areas my heart is here. I have plenty of leadership experience I've had up to 15 employees to manage at once that was shceduling routes turning in their time and keeping qc under control I hope I might be able to skip a peaon level or two. I will also be taking a pretty good pay cut just hoping it will be worth it in the long run. Thanks again for your knowledge.

5. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I think that theair is a course called The Olds Farm was designed by Bobby Weed. I am pretty sure it is in your area and if i were you, i would e getting on the phone right now. ULTRA high end facility..They walkmow the rough w/ 21's. Or so i am told..they get ten guys and stagger them from the inside out. But anyway, check it out and also valhalla over in Kentucky. I talked w/the sup over there, Mark Wilson. One of the most knowledgable turf guys i ever talked to. My roomate interned down there.

6. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Do what your heart tells you... Ive always been told it takes a few years to become rich in this business.. I think its alll about you loving what you do... I truly love going to work at 5 am everyday and working out in nature all day.. Keep us updated... assistants are in high demand and I am sure you will have no problems.