golf shoes while mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AndrewLawn, Jul 10, 2001.

1. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

Does anyone ever where golf shoes(with the spikes) while mowing in order to aerate the lawn(when you're mowing with a walkbehind of course,not a rider,that wouldn't do to much good,lol).Anyway,just wondering if that might work.

2. Just Turned Pro

Just Turned Pro LawnSite Member

Im not sure about 1/2 inch aeration... but I used to wear them at a house I did for traction. The yard had a slope on the north side that was always damp and slippery. I was always afraid of falling.

3. Leonard

Leonard LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Hmmm, like the other guy I don't know about the 1/2 inch golf spikes doing much good. I've always gone at least 4-6" deep to achieve results when aerating. Other than traction I don't see much advantage.

I have seen some strap-on attachments for your feet. They've got 3 1/2" spikes. These, I think, are better left for Joe Homeowner rather than you or me, though. I wouldn't be caught dead behind a WB with them on.

4. AndrewLawn

seems to me if you were wearing 3 and 1/2 inch spikes while mowing with a walkbehind,you might actually be found dead!how would you get your feet out of the ground quick enough???

5. Leonard

Leonard LawnSite Member
    from Texas

...My point exactly.

6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

nothing wrong what you guys are says but doesn't jerry baker say to do that???? and wouldn't you want to actually charge your customers to aerate??? sounds like you'll make more money if you charge in the spring and fall. and its kinda illegal to wear gold shoes well driving.

7. AndrewLawn

illegal to wear golf shoes while driving???never knew that,ya learn something everyday......and yes,you're right,I would charge for aerating,but not for using that method!

8. Leonard

Leonard LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Yeah, I've also heard it's illegal to go barefoot.

You <i>could</i> wear the golf shoes if all you wanted to do was maintain a porous soil. But if the soil is heavily compacted you will need something deeper than golf spikes. And yes, charge 'em for it. There's no such thing as a free lunch........or aeration job.

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Well, I tried it twice this week...:angry:

Each time I put the shoes on, got in the truck, and drove the wrong way!! Ended up playing 18 holes twice and not much work, wife was not happy. [​IMG]

10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Must be nice. You must be one of them rich lawn dudes!:D