golf

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bennet, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Bennet

Bennet LawnSite Member
    from NC

Has anyone out there ever worked on a golf course before getting into the lawn care business?

2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

one of my employess worked at course for 5 years before coming on with me,as for my self never have..

3. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

i have. For a few years part time-- got enough out of it to start my own business. Plus they paid for my schooling and licenses for fertilizer and pesticides. Umass School of turf grass management at Stockbridge.. Great place learned more than I ever needed.

4. Bennet

Bennet LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have worked on a golf course for 15 years. The past four as a superintendent. I lost my job in August and I am sick and tired of the business. Too much ignorance and not enough money. Im starting my own lawn care company. People think its not worth it and too risky but I dont have too many options left.

5. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

About 7 years on the best courses. Courses hosted PGA tournaments etc. Good grounding in Turf science but average pay. Sometimes though after a stressful week I wish I was back on a golf course. 500 sweet lawn care accounts and i'll be happy.

6. Bennet

Bennet LawnSite Member
    from NC

What golf course? How did you start in your business? Was it difficult? Did you use your golf course experience to market yourself?

7. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, been there, done it. I have worked for the #2 and the company that owns the #1 golf courses in the US of A.
    Damn am I glad I don't do that anymore.
    Family members have been in the turfgrass pathology/breeding business for over six decades.