Golfcourse maintenance contract

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Espacesverts, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Espacesverts

Espacesverts LawnSite Member

Hi!

Maybe I'm crazy but I was thinking of something today. Is someone here who have a contract with a golfcourse? For example, they show up in the morning with a lot of guys, mow, trim and everything and just pack everything in their trailer and go after.

Thanks!

2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

You're not crazy, but close... :laugh: after all, you're from Quebec...

Just kidding...

I believe most golf courses have staff dedicated to the golf course.

:)

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Are you talking greens t-boxes and fairways? If so each requires specality equipment. From a golf course point of view it is cheaper to own/lease the equipment and pay staff in house.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

More work goes into a golf course than what most people even know. There is no "just packing everything on a trailer and going".

5. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Like runner said, Tons of work has to be everyday just to get the course setup and playable. Lots of work for little pay when you realize how many hours you work in the summer.

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I think the company I used work for had a grounds keeping staff of 12 people during the season. Thats not even county pro's or anyone who worked in the club house.

7. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

What in the heck are you talking about?

I have 12 years as a golf professional and 5 years as a super! Yes, I have a turfgrass degree!!
    You French Canadians kill me!!!
    I'm sorry, but that questions is idiotic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

All of the golf courses around here have a full time staff of maintenance people for the courses, this goes for even the lower end golf courses.

9. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Let him try and deal with pythium in august while he's tryin to pack up and leave to the next job.......lol

10. Espacesverts

Espacesverts LawnSite Member

Ok sorry guys I didn't want to offend anybody and it was only a QUESTION. The only reason why I asked that is because 1 month ago I talked with a manager at a golf course and he was a little bit worried. A lot of the equipment was old and it was breaking everytime. On the other hand, some employees were slowly starting talking about "unionize". He also told me that it's harder than ever to find good people because when winter come they don't have job to offer (at least in Canada).

It's why I just tougth about that. If a golfcourse would sub their maintenance this would mean that they would not have to worry about equipment cost of repair, unionize and finding good employees. So, for example, some crew could show up in the morning and mow everything. When it's done, the crew just go out and some guys and a super, all from the same LCO, could stay and do other maintenance jods. And the LCO could provide year round job to their employees with snow removal.

But again, it was only a tought.
    Thanks