Gone Today, Back Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cwlawley, Apr 6, 2006.

1. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer get mad at me and tell me not to come back yesterday. She was mad that I would not put down fertilizer...which I assured her I would love to do but I am not yet certified through the state. I told her I would do my best to sub that service out, but that would be an additional cost, and of course she wanted it to be an included cost. This lady is older and very "by-the-book". I was very polite to her and told her I was sorry and good luck finding someone to do it for her budget.

I was making $27.00 per cut on the lawn. So, today she calls back. She wants me to do her lawn. This probably means she called a couple of companies and they were charging her too much. Who thinks I should take it and raise the price? Or, should I do it at all?

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

so did she, give her another chance, you can always drop her... and good job on the legalities of the spraying.... good carma does pay off in the long run....

now get the that license so you can get the money... its easy and not too expensive...:)

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

raise the price now while you've got some leverage on her!

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Nope if she told you not to come back I would not come back..that would pizz me right off.I am sure you did not appreciate being treated in that manner..she showed no respect for you..I woulds recommend not going back to a customer who treated you like that

5. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

in most states you dont have to have a license to put down a straight fertilizer, but you do if the fert has a weed or insect killer in it.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

easy to give an opinion, but without really knowing your situation, it's hard to give an educated one. I guess it all boils down to, do you really need this account because your schedule is only half full? if you can replace her on your schedule, then I say don't even bother with her, she doesn't sound like she would handle a price increase well anyways... remmber, there are enough huckleberries in this world, you don't need to be one of them, move on if you can.

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Im going to agree with sheshovel and Jodi. I would not take her back after treating my that way, expecially a 27 dollar account.

8. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

I wouldn't worry about it unless you're in need of the account. If she wants to have her tantrums and tell you to not come back, then good luck to her! People always think the grass is greener on the other side (well in this case it might be -ha.. fertilizer..ha) but you know what I mean. Don't let people treat you bad! Use the 1/2 hr you spend at her place and put out fliers! You'll find a better account in no time. :)

9. firelwn

firelwn LawnSite Member

I Dido the previous note's x3

10. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

My personal opinion but I guess I'd just chalk it up to a misunderstanding and keep the account. Sounds like she learned her lesson and most likely she'll be very nice to you from now on.