1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gonna be the "New Guy"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Prestige-Lawncare, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I ran across this site yesterday while doing a search on mowers and equipment ... so I thought I would sign up and pick up some tips or pointers along the way. Who knows ... I might even be able to add to the forums a little here and there!

Me ... Just a 53 year old guy (a very young 53 I might add) ... who has 30 years in working for someone else. This time next year I will be looking at taking an early retirement from my years of service working for someone else year round. I bought a 36' 5th wheel camper last year .... and I plan on getting a lot of use out of it. I now take 4 - 5 weeks vacation in the summer, and that's when the kids and I travel some. Next year, I plan on leaving my employer, and taking on a job driving a school bus during the year, and having a small lawn service to carry me through some of the summer while school is out. Knowing me though ... I'll probably grow it bigger then I want to, that's just the way I am about everything.

Anyway! Tips ... pointers ... advice ... or anything else you may want to share would be greatly appreciated. All my life I have loved my lawn work, landscape design projects, and working outdoors in the summer months. I now hope to carry my hobby into a smaller business until I can afford to retire full time (which will probably be never).

As I said ... I just wanted to stop in and introduce myself ... and start getting involved a little here.​
  2. tfosterjr

tfosterjr LawnSite Member

Welcome and Good Luck:clapping:
  3. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

4-5 weeks vacation in the summer might be unreasonable
  4. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

oh yeah, I hate your avatar :)
  5. lawnguy001

lawnguy001 LawnSite Member

Enjoy that 5th wheel while you can! There are no summer vacations in this business. I had 32' motorhome. Never had time to use it . It had to go bye -bye!!
  6. Prestige-Lawncare

Thanks guys!

What I mean by 4 - 5 weeks off in the summer is that I take the weeks off from work at the office now ... but we usually only travel on weekends, and take a 1 week trip just once in the summer. That is also why I say I want to keep it small .. just a few contracts to keep a little cash flowing in the summer months. Of course .. like most things I do in life .. I will probably grow and grow it .. but then of course I can pass some of it off to my son.

I am a single parent with two kids still at home ... a 13 year old and a son almost 15. He will be coming up on 16 next year ... and I am thinking "business partner?" :D

Thanks again for the welcome ....​
  7. Prestige-Lawncare

Love em during the regular season .. they suck in the play-offs!:drinkup:
  8. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck in the future and good luck!
  9. JoeFireman

JoeFireman LawnSite Member

I'm not sure you should get involved. Ive been doing it part time 20 + and might retire from my flltime jobafter 25 years. I feel like I'm locked in financly into lawn service. I'm a bit youger than you 44 and suggest if you can financly. enjoy retirement and do some of things you miss(hobbies,fishing etc)
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

but not in the winter so take a vacation down under where it's summer :laugh: