Gonna DEMO Gravely 148Z Friday

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FIRESCOOBY, Mar 21, 2006.

1. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not currently in the business yet, but looking to get into it as a "side business". I work FT as a firefighter and work 24 on 48 off. There is a good bit of competition in my area, but alot of growth/ building also.

Anyway, I'm looking to buy a 152Z if everything works out. The dealer doesn't have a 52" for demo, so gonna demo the 148Z with 21hp Kaw Friday. The dealer is very accomodating, and I know one of the guys there.

The price I got for the 152Z is $7,276 out the door. Unsure of this is a good price, seems a little high to me. I've sent emails to the next 2 dealers for a price check. They are over 30 miles away, whereas this one is about 5 miles away.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

That price is below MSRP listed on gravely's site, however, I believe the last time I was at my gravely dealer he had a 252Z for 83xx? Which engine is on the 152 you are looking at?

3. FIRESCOOBY

The 152Z has a 23hp Kawasaki. He has a 252Z with the 26hp liquid cooled Kawa for $8099 on the sticker.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 260z/25 kawi, its a nice machine however a touch underpowered in wet conditions, but a 26 on a 252z would be niiiiice.

5. FIRESCOOBY

How do you feel the 23 on a 152 will do? I have really no experience in this, so all input is valuable.

Today I looked at Exmarks (nice but very high priced - $8000-8500 for 52"), Hustlers (priced nice, but heard they may be troublesome), SCAG's (priced in line with Exmarks). Gonna look at John Deere 737 sometime soon. Unfortunately, closest JD dealer is about 50 miles away.

6. cbarn

cbarn LawnSite Member

FireScooby,
    Are you goig to be able to do any grading w/ that Gravely?!?!? What changed your mind?

7. cbarn

cbarn LawnSite Member

Exmarks Are 8k? Man I may have to rethink my expansion ideas.

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Woa, a 252 with a LC26 hp kawi...I would go with that one. Lots more power and the 252 frame is very nice. Only 800 more too :cool:

9. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I would guess it will be similar to my 25hp/60" performance in dry grass should be fine, but might have to slow down in wet or real thick conditions.

10. 24ON48OFF

24ON48OFF LawnSite Member

Letting people know that you are a firefighter in your ad helps you stand out against the comp. At least some will give you a chance to give them an estimate. Last line of my ad reads, "Firefighter owned and operated". Still have people call and ask if I am really a firefighter or some ask will you actually be doing the work.