Gonna have to let this customer go?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by StBalor, Jun 22, 2006.

1. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Before i start, i know someone will read my profile and say, it says you only been doing this for 2 years. But that is only how long i been doing this full time and legit. i have been cutting grass for many years after work.
    Well i been cutting this 1 yard now for 8 years. it was an ederly couple and the husband passed away about 3 years ago. it was not uncommon for them to wait 2-3 cuts then pay me at once. I did not mind cause i been mowing for them for years and never had a problem. well yesterday i go to mow and the back yard was covered with trash and clothes. i cut what i could and went around and cut the front. the lady comes out and tells me "they are gonna demolish the whole community" tear down the houses and till em under was her excact words. Tells me " there gonna tear down her home and till it under and she was gonna move. I asked where you moving too? She then tells me she is moving to the future, where everything is push button". She tells me she has been happy with my work but will not need me anymore after today and that her neighbor will pay me. I just sayed ok, left the bill and left.
    the past couple of times i was there i could tell her mental health was deteriating but never thought much of it. As much as i hate to, i do not wanna keep cutting this grass if there is a chance i might not get paid. She now owes me for 2 cuts. I think i will just chalk the 2 cuts up to a loss and move on.
    what do you guys think?

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

from a "good samaritan" standpoint, have you tried talking with the neighbors to see if they know how to get in touch with her family....There is an easy way to keep the job and get paid by talking to her closest relatives....I know there are some on here who would say screw it and walk away. If her mental health is that bad, she may not be paying her other bills either and if her family is not aware, it would be a huge suprise when dear old moms house had been forclosed on.....

3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree with marc. if you have a relationship with the lady, at least try to contact her family. at some point in life, it's not ALL about the money.

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

BLASPHEMY!!!:laugh:

Absolutely contact a family member if possible:clapping:

5. Brendan Smith

that's no worse than......

BAGGING:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;)

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I dare say this much I would likely do for her, much beyond that (and for future services) I can not speak of because I wouldn't cut the grass no more but yeah, try and see if you can get a hold of a relative / neighbor.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

This is situation where you can go from zero to hero in no time. I would have no problems continuing service even, so long as I was dealing with one of the family members who was compitent and the checks came on time....I could care less who pays for the service, so long as some pays...:)

Iknow if it was my grandmother and you called me and I found out later that she was in the beginingstages of Alzhimers or had been offer her meds...You'd be the proverbial golden boy, you get more than enough reccomendation, refferals and extra work thats for sure...But thats just me...

8. Brendan Smith

amen :angel: payup payup

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Ya find a relative and get paid!

I have worked for an insane ol lady for 16 years. She loves to dance on the front porch while she is in the spirit world:dizzy: Some days she doesn't want me to cut the grass because of snakes/ bugs whatever. She throws stuff in the yard and sleeps in cars. One day she was covered up with fire Ants and said they were her friends:help:
    I write the checks out and she signs them or I call relatives. LOng as she doesn't come at me with any guns or knives it works out just finepayup

10. Brendan Smith

wow. i would feel obligated to pay her for the entertainment. friendly fire ants???? she must be insane :dizzy: :dizzy: