1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gonna take some getting use 2....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nelson, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

I tell ya ...I am gonna have to get use to this physical labor...
    I guess its all because...I sat behind a desk 4 15 years...

I just laughed 2 my self today in about 86 degree weather & said it will be worth it. Tuff it out.... It's gonna get HOTTER big boy ..lol

Sure beats answering 2 anybody + being @ the office @ a certain time...

Anyone felt like this when they were first starting in business?:cool:
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Yep...spent 18 years in the corporate world berfore starting my own biz in '94. I know where you're coming from!
  3. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

13 years behind a desk. This is year two and it is better in all aspects.
  4. CLM1103

CLM1103 LawnSite Member

Nelson...Hang in there and you will see your health improve along with your accounts. Good luck!!
  5. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I feel like that for the first two or three weeks every year. Totaly our of shape! The only problem is I seem to get more out of shape every winter.
  6. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks peeps......

It's gonna get better CLM1103... I truly believe this...

My Health & business... I have No other choice......

Because I refuse to get another job working behind a desk for some company.. That U can only achieve so many things & then that is as far as U can go....

With my Lawn Service ....The Sky is the Limit..... That is totally up 2 me....:blob3:
  7. stahls2

stahls2 LawnSite Member

I feel the same way. However, I am still working my full time job and lawn care full time. I have only been getting about 3-4 hours of sleep a day, but I wouldn't change it for the world. Except quitting my full time job. I like the idea that I create my own destiny. Either sink or swim. I prefer to swim.
  8. Bob's Lawn

Bob's Lawn LawnSite Member

I sat in an office for 11 years and this is officially week 2 in the biz. I love the excercise.

I have a simple question, for all you old timers:

When making passes, how do you turn the mower without leaving wheel marks in the turf. Do you zero turn? Also, do you shut off the blades during the turn?

Just trying to make the lawns look as good as they can.

9. stahls2

stahls2 LawnSite Member

Keep the blades on all the time. The blades are not causing the turf damage, the rear tires are. It occurrs when the inside rear tire is stopped and the outside tire continues to roll. Most recommend a three point turn.

1. Go to the end of the lawn turn 1/3 of the way you which to proceed.

2. Back up continuing to turn another 1/3.

3. Go forward and turn the final 1/3 until you are heading back in the same direction for a complete 180 degree turn.

It will take some practice to perform efficiently.