1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

good 21 inch mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tree, Feb 17, 2004.

1. tree

tree LawnSite Member
    from nc

what is a good 21 inch mower that will last . we can not even get one year of use out of a little mower . by the end of the year they are falling apart and have been in the shop many time . have tried husquvarna , cub , toro ,
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Listen Tree, You have to spend money to get a good mower. Look at it like this, how much money have you spent on crap-ola mowers so far? I bet if you could have all that money back, you could have purchased a decent mower right? If I were going to purchase a 21" mower I would buy an Exmark. Strong engines, aluminum deck, high blade tip speed.

Why do you want a 21" anyway? If you are mowing commercially, the smallest mower you are likely to need is a 36". Lots more productive, plus it can pull a velkie.
  3. tree

tree LawnSite Member
    from nc

we have 2 48 inch bobcats , but we have some smaller places that you must use a small push mower
  4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a honda push mower, they are expensive but seem to out last everything else.
  5. Mlc gmc03

Mlc gmc03 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

toro proline 21" cant get to much better than that we love ours
  6. sal

sal LawnSite Member

Cameron, how do you like the Honda mowers, I,m thinking about buying some but I would like to hear some feedback on how they run..... I've been using the J.D. mowers that have that nice Deere price, but never seem to run like a deer?
  7. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sal, I would def. recommend Honda mowers. Like I said above, they are a little pricey but IMO are worth the money. I have never had any problems with them at all. Are you talking about push mowers (21in) or walk behind mowers? I have 2 of each and love both but from what I hear Honda is not making the larger units anymore, just the push mowers. I think they have a great cut and are very sturdy machines.
  8. Danimal

Danimal LawnSite Member

I love honda pushmowers they seemed to have it all figured out. A freind of mine I used to work for has had the same mower for six years. I think to many people don't do maintenance on their push mowers remember their airfilters and oil needs to be changed just as our bigger mowers do.
  9. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

try to find yourself a toro proline with the 2 stroke suzuki and you will not have to change the oil like Danimal mentioned.
  10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We use lawnboys when we need a 21 mower.