Good Backpack Sprayer?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by deere615, May 14, 2007.

1. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

No, not if your planning on using it much. I use Solo and they are a good sprayer for the $$. SP is even better. these will both have a better more durable pump and more comfortable shoulder straps.

3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Solo is crap

4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I have seven solos. My oldest is more than sixteen years old. It still works. The only problem I have is the handles wear. The shut off does not close after a years use. I just replace the handles or springs and they are good to go.

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We run Shurflo battery-powered backpacks, and we'll never go back.

6. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto.....

7. DOCDIGGLER

DOCDIGGLER LawnSite Member

LOOK INTO BIRCHMEIER SELF CONTAINED SPRAYERS. YOU PRE-MIX EVERYTHING IN 2.5 GALLON CHEMICAL JUGS AND SWAP THEM OUT IN THE HOLDER. YOU CAN SPRAY ANY DIFFERENT PRODUCTS WITH THE SAME SPRAYER AND IT TAKES 30 SECONDS TO SWITCH FROM HERBICIDE TO ROUNDUP ETC...

http://www.arborchem.com/prdframe.htm

ARBORCHEM SELLS THEM. VERY WELL BUILT WITH AWESOME SPRAY WANDS.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I've had great success with the SOLO piston and diaphram pumps (used to be able to get them at HD for 50-60 bucks. but I also have used the Lesco Version of the solo with no problems. wither.

I would imagine that the Northern tool unit is a solo knockoff the nicest thing about solo and the lesco units parts to rebuild them are cheap and easy to find.

and they are fairly indestructible...

9. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Solo's are ok but always some issue with them IMO.
    I would do the new gilmour back pack. It's 110 though. Bit pricey but comes with alternate tip too and is sturdy. 4.5 gal and 60psi. Works well for me.
    You can get them at lowes or home depot i think. Got mine at a farmer co-op. Good luck

10. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Where can I get a little info on these sprayers? I like the Solo but it is wearing my left arm out. Damn glad that I'm not 16 anymore and left handed.