Good Bid?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnboy349, Mar 30, 2007.

1. lawnboy349

lawnboy349 LawnSite Member

Is $240-$280 a good bid for a spring cleanup on a 15,335 square foot yard? I have to rake up all the leaves and sticks. I'm figuring about 7-8 hours and a $30 haul off fee. Do these numbers seem about right?

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems, ummm..... very "affordable"

3. Loy's Home Services  LLC

Loy's Home Services LLC LawnSite Member

Depends on your overhead. It costs me $30/hr to operate. Therefor, my labor rates are $65.00 per man hour.

4. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

7-8 hours of leaves, I wouldnt touch it.

I wouldnt do anything for 7-8 hours and only make $240-280. I trimmed several palm trees today and it took about an hour and 15 minutes and charged the customer $250.
    Did another palm tree job, spent maybe 2 hours and made $350 (discount price cause it was some sub work, homeowner would have paid $425)

5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

if your happy with that, move out here and ill sub you out. if your 16 and using a $12 rake, i guess it sounds good.

6. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

plus 30 dollars to haul it off?

I don't mean to knock it but, that's very low also.

If you're new to doing this type of work, it's best to charge by the hour, and not by the job.

7. TGM

TGM LawnSite Senior Member

i would say the average a company should charge is around $40-60/hr for labor, but that can of course vary widely depending on many factors.

8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

id have to disagree with you on this one. he shows up with a rake and it takes him 8 hours at $30/hr. i show up with tens of thousands in equiptment and it takes me 2 hours, would i only charge 30/hr??? even at the $40-60 like TGM says isnt enough for me. charging by the hour is dependant on how effiencent you are. i want the $280. i bid by job and usually try make out greater than $100/hr. the customers dont cry when i tell them $280 for a spring cleanup but they will if say that will be $140/hr.

perhaps saying " If you're new to doing this type of work, it's best to charge by the hour, and not by the job UNTIL YOU LEARN HOW TO PRICE THE JOB" then i guess that would make sence. but how much he charges is still dependant on how efficent he is, if he milkls it at $30/hr picking up one leaf at a time is good money

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It is too much....but good luck there are a lot of super saleguys that report big numbers on this site all the time. With a mulching mower you could probalby be done in 3 hours and not haul away anything and it look spotless but each to his own.

10. TGM

TGM LawnSite Senior Member

i guess i came off wrong...i mean $40-$50/hr for labor (profit), plus added expenses of fuel, maintenance, insurance. personally i charge $50/hr... on certain jobs i will get more, but that's what i figure on. ie 4 hour leaf cleanup = $200labor +dump fees + gas/oil/diesel + maintenance could easily be $300. on higher end homes i can often get more money, but a lot of customers with $150,000 houses don't want to pay more than that (or they will find that "kid with a rake and push mower").

i am of the opinion that the job gets charged the same even when i have equipment that makes me do the job faster (since it costs more money). a lot of people think that the faster i can go the cheaper the job becomes....no no no.