Good brand of leaf rake

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by All Season Lawn, Apr 5, 2008.

1. All Season Lawn

All Season Lawn LawnSite Member

This is dumb question, but who makes/sells a good leaf rake? Ya know, one that doesn't break after using it 5 or 6 times.
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

3. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

The Groundskeeper II is the rake that will do the job. You can see them on our website and we sell them and ship them all over the country. Full size rake is 21" and sells for $20. Shrub rake is 9" and sells for $18. and we have some smaller rakes. The rake can rake leaves with no down pressure, level mulch, rake rock of pea gravel, all with no down pressure so you stand up, no more bending over.
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The one n the picture is a Jackson Kodiac but when you go to the link to purchase it is a Ames. I have not had as much luck with the silver attachment point as the old fashioned ones but I can't seem to find them any more on store shelves I probably need to go internet shopping. We use the big plastic ones for use on turf and the style shown above for beds and granite areas. They last us about 6-9 months.
  5. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

You gotta be kidding....If it has a handle youll break it in 15 min.

Guys if you need a rake or shovel tested...send one to him. If it lasts more then 15 min, u have one hell of a product. lol.
  6. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Me, too! Just yesterday I was showing my employee how I always buy 3 rakes at a time, b/c... well, when we got to the first stop, 5th swipe raking- SNAP!
    I have the best luck buying OLD rakes and tools from garage sales- made when they actually used hardwood to make handles. Now I swear they make them from pine- snap, or fiberglass- snap, or metal- paper thin, snap! Just when you think you've got a good handle- all the tines fall out! :cry:
  7. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco makes a nice leaf rake- Yellow-coated metal handle... they're usually in a green yard tub at the place.

Also- rare, but Midwest Rake Company makes a NICE metal leaf rake that is quite durable. I think Kenyon tools is the owner of the company... I have only found these rakes a Kenney Outdoor Solutions (Toro Turf/Irrigation dealer)
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We are going to replace all wood handles in shovel, rakes, etc with steel pipe and weld them in. In particular we find that it gives you more power when you have them on tools like a sharp shooter.
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Using the rakes in the pic posted above for many years, very heavy use in the Fall for leaf work, some use during the Summer for debris pickup after bush trimming, and some use in the Spring for cleanup -- never broken a handle.

Oh yes, I've never broken a handle in a shovel, hoe, hook, or any other long-handled tool.

What am I doing wrong?
  10. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Your not breaking tools, and u think your doing something wrong?? Give em to 4 seasons, be in peices in no time. I think the longest he went was an hour one time, then SNAP..... Glade he on his own this yr. I mite save some $$:laugh: