Good brands of thatcher and areator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Appalachian landscape, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

what are some good brands of thatchers and areators? I'm thinking about purchasing one of each and I don't know where to start looking.

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I personally own a Bluebird dethatcher and a Plugr PL800 aerator and love both. Both are great machines with Honda engines.

3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

how much did those run? I need to find a dealer around here who sells stuff like that. I've been all around and no one stocks these tools. they can "order me one" :rolleyes:

4. walker-talker

from Midwest

The dethatcher will run around $1300 new and the aerator will cost $2995-$3150. If Rock Solid (Plugr) does not have a dealer near you, they will ship direct.

5. Mowmoregrass

Mowmoregrass LawnSite Member

I have rock solid plugrs. Send me pm and I will see what I can do.

6. superbee

superbee LawnSite Member

I bought a new Plugr PL800 at the Lawn and Expo show here in Louisville last September. Great machine - alot easier to use than the Bluebird I used to rent and it does a wonderful job.

7. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I might be getting the PL800 soon. So far it's the best that I've seen. I've been doing searches here and on the net for aerators.
    Walker do you like the bluebird dethatcher better then the JRCO units?

8. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

we use a thatchomatic power rake and the bluebird and Ryan aerators.
    Bluebird seems to be the most common I think they make product for a few other companys aswell.
    as far as pluggers i would look at a Ryan

9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

If it wasn't for mr Matt (walker talker) I woulndt have a aerator. I got a kees core plugger. It works great for me and LOW maintenence. It has about 40 hours on it and the best part is it only has 4 tines on it less sharpening and it's pretty efficent.

10. walker-talker

from Midwest

They can't compare. I don't have the JRCO, but I do have a smaller unit that attatches to the front of a mower deck. They both use spring tines and are great for cleaning up the lawn....especially when picking up leaves. The Bluebird model pulls up a whole lot more debris and does a great job. They use motorized flails that are much wider than a spring tine. My best advice to you is find a rental shop or Home Depot and try one out. I hope you have an efficient way of collecting and hauling away the debris because it will generate a lot.