Good business books

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jondcoleman, Jul 20, 2006.

1. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

Does anybody have any recommendations for good business books they have read? I have read 7 Habits, the One Minute Manager, Fish!, and am currently reading The Game of Work. I especially recommend the 7 Habits and The Game of Work. Just looking for more ideas on how to run a better business. As my boss says, "Ideas make money."

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The E-Myth is a must read. Flight of the buffalo, is also good for some corporate stories. The Corporate Mystic, good for leadership insight. The great game of business, a employee purchase and turnaround story. Lots more if you want ask any time.

3. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

To be more precise... E Myth revisted.

all the other E Myth books are crap.

I would say the best book I've read in the last few years is E Myth revisted (totally business) and Eat That Frog by brian tracy, more of goal setting book.

4. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Millionaire next door by Tom Stanley. It's not so much about business, but the fundamentals of money and spending/saving habits. You can see how this would ultimately help one's business though.

5. Az Gardener

Good call Mr Roark. I forgot all about the Millionaire Next Door, I loaned it to someone and its gone.

6. Freddy_Kruger

I bought that book but I haven't read it I think because I figured it was another wealthy barber/rich dad poor dad, you know about buying mutual funds or whatever... I think that is crap I would rather invest in my own co. than bill gates.

7. Az Gardener

No its nothing like that. Its really quite dry but very informative. It is a research study of the wealthy people in America. Very eye opening, not what you would expect and no motivational stuff just raw information and some stories.

The stories are all about the people in the study, not anything about the author or following his pathway to wealth. I don't even think he is wealthy. Well he may be now it is a very popular book.

I tell you one thing, wealthy people don't spend 40-K on a truck when a 18-K truck will get the job done.

8. Freddy_Kruger

How about this, a $2200 arien snow blower, owner moving to BC will sell for $1000. hmmm.. I'm tried phoning to to view N/A.

I was just looking through my books and I got two books by that guy, The other one is the Millionare mind... he's really milking it.

9. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

This was a smart move on their part, as they saved money by stealing yours!

10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Jim Collins Good to Great and his other book Built to Last. I have read E-Myth, One Min. Manager, Fish, 7 Habits, One that was written by an Ex-Special forces guy (can't remember the name now) Edward Demming and Tom Peters and some others . The only books I would really recommend are Collins books simply because his was a real study backed with real data rather than some guys personal opinions. It was done off of stock returns and indepth studies by the numbers and then a behind the scenes interviews and so forth. He tells exactly how he obtained his information. Sat through his live lecture as well.