Good business can "blow away" websites

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mdvaden, Oct 25, 2007.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

This is due to a topic in the Website forum regarding being #1 in Google. I'm going to paste some paragraphs to one of my replies, to make a point. But basically, I've learned that if you are:

Friendly
    Prompt
    Knowledgeable
    Accurate
    Priced appropriately
    Well groomed
    Diligent
    Organized
    Inventive
    Etc..

Then you may never need a website at all. (I'd say get one just to support technology anyway). But doing work like that, you can out-perform businesses with websites like mine. Here's the quote:

At least in person, I've never seen that websites have an advantage over excellent business principles.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah that's for sure, if I just bend way over backwards and kiss their butt and let them ride me and give them at least 1/2 off the standard rates and really just let the customers run my business, at that point I need absolutely NO advertising. Why, I can just let them claim me on their taxes and they can fill out my 1099's or what have you, they probably invite me for dinner and if I catch one at the right moment I may even get to have sex with the wife or the daughter.

Because what do I get for all that? Free business? No, more like they get free work done, and in return I get stepped all over, so I can also close my doors as far as I'm concerned. That guy who wrote the article is either someone else's employee or a really jealous business owner 'greasing' up the slide for the next fool. Either way, most of us learn the hard way, but one either learns, or one stays miserable. There are some Lco's who never see that, I feel we're all somewhat like it in the first few years, but I just couldn't keep working my tail to the bone in exchange for kind words and donations.

I tried real hard, I went way out of my way to prove to them that I was right and fit for this, what I got in return I'll save for another rant, but lets just say I didn't think it was a good thing to let the customers have at me and my business.
    But given the choice, it doesn't cost to advertise, it PAYS!
    A web site is but one part of it.

3. mdvaden

Some of my friends who were successful, didn't PAY - as you say - for advertising.

Their business practices and craftmanship were so good, that they were able to expand from a a few centers of reference via referrals.

So thier best advertising was their work. And in some cases, was their primary form of advertising.

Now I'm not against paying for ads.

But it's not wise to say that "ads pay" because they don't. Work is what pays. Ads only bring phone calls. Its good business that manages phone calls.

4. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

mdvaden, I agree on some points with you, but its technology and if you dont incorporate it in your business then you will get left behind. Take me as an example. If Im looking for a product or service the first place I go is on the web.

All of the characteriscts that you mentioned above our good sound basic business fundamentals, however without a Web presence, I very well may not even know that your product or service even exist. Web sites is not a fix-all but its another tool that can be used to help grow your business.

What if your bank didn't offer online services, would you still choose to do business with them?

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I finley got a web site, simply because of my brother in law.....

he's a tech-no-nerd, wanna be.....

he set it up got everything up and running. did all the stuff....

it's been like 5 months now and just take a look at it......

www.kinglawncare.com

awwww it's a bute after 5 months....isn't it ?

6. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

That was cute.

7. mdvaden

I'm not advocating ignoring it .... if you were in my town and wanted to see a tree that I did preservation work on, just click the Google Earth or Google Maps icons here to view location...

http://www.mdvaden.com/catalpa.shtml

There's the website, GPS coordinates, photos and video.

But the point of the thread, is simply that a person who applies themselves to mastering business, can prosper just as easily as someone who has a productive website.

And, again, that the best businesses I've seen among acquaintences, did not have websites. It doesn't mean that they would not get a website. But they excelled others without the sites none-the-less.