Good business?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by sheshovel, Nov 11, 2006.

1. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Do you think this is a good business decision or not?

By RALPH BLUMENTHAL
    Published: November 11, 2006
    HOUSTON, Nov. 10 — Last month, a local landscaping firm prompted a furor here by telling a gay couple in an e-mail message, “We choose not to work for homosexuals.”

The message quickly made its way around the Internet, and the company, Garden Guy Inc., was bombarded with threats and hate mail. But since then, the company’s owners say they have gained far more business than they have lost.

In an interview Friday, Sabrina Farber, 34, co-owner of the company with her husband, Todd, 37, said the company had picked up $40,000 in new business in the past two weeks, while losing only two clients worth about $500 each a year.

“I’m not saying that to gloat,” said Mrs. Farber, who described the frenzy as ugly and emotionally draining. But she said they would not do it differently and deserved credit for not masking their refusal with excuses.

“Why can’t people handle it when you say the truth?” she said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/11/u...=th&oref=slogin
    Those who live in accordance with these divine laws without complaining, firmly established in faith, are released from karma. Those who violate these laws, criticizing and complaining, are utterly deluded, and are the cause of their own suffering.

2. GFTC

GFTC LawnSite Member

I see it as someone who stands by what they believe in. Regardless of what it is they believe, they are succesful, it seems, because they are consistent.

3. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

All sorts of issues entangled in that little newpaper blurb. Was it good business? From the article only, a net gain of $35,000 in gross business says it was positive. As for their stance and making their personal beliefs public......that's a whole can of worms and quicksand and a place I would prefer not to go.

4. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

:angry: :angry: :angry: !!!!!I HATE EVERYBODY!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

BRING ON THE NEW BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!payup payup payup :drinkup: :laugh:

5. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

6. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

Business owners have the right to refuse anyone. Why they stated "homosexuals" is flat poor to begin with. But it sure as hell work out great...

...I like fatweasel's idea...

7. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

This same article was talked about a few weeks ago in another thread. It ended up being pulled after a while.

8. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Only two things in Texas, steers and queers. You ain't got no horns boy!

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

it is up to the individual business owner to run thier business. Our two best clients are gay interior designers. We have no issue with homosexuals whatsoever, but evidently these people do. You will have to give them kudos for sticking up for thier beliefs, wether we agree with them or not... after all it IS the United States of America ( well all states except Kalifornia).

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'd have to agree...though you see less and less of that kind of behavior in today's society.