1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Good business?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by sheshovel, Nov 11, 2006.

1. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

In hindsight it was a good business decision. However what's to say that another month down the road they won't get a discrimination lawsuit coming to them for $100,000 because they refused to work for a homosexual couple? If that happens then it most certainly wasn't a good business decision.

Long story short, unless they want to pay you in something other than US currency, or something else of value... take the work. It might not be there tomorrow. It shouldn't matter if they are gay, straight, pink, white, purple, green, etc. etc. etc. etc. Paying work is just that.
  2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

SheShovel......I think those business owners should take it to the next level and continue their reasearch and let their philosophy run through all aspects of their life. If they are committed to not work "for" they should be committed to not buying anything "from". They should not buy any food, clothing, shelter or creature comforts from anyone who's philosophy differs from theirs.
  3. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

it would totally depend on where u live.. look at the exit polls of the recent elections to get a good idea of how your customer base thinks... some states are heavily against that, some are very open to it... i believe there was a spesific question in the exit polls in relation to gay people... personally i bet the people running that company would score very low on standardized intelligence tests.... but that doesnt have anything to do with moping now does it hahaha
  4. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

just because you are gay does not mean you are smart....after all look at your communities inability to control the spread of aids in your community.....really how smart do you and your friends have to be to use a condom....appearently smarter than a mop operator :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  5. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

It doesnt matter if its good or bad business. They dont like homosexuals so they really dont care what happens to the homosexuals most straight people wouldnt cancel because of that. Its like a skinhead refusing to do work for a jew... they dont care what anyone says

There are many owners i know for a fact that dont take on indian customers or black customers for whatever reason they have its no ones business but theres

Bad publicity is still good publicity is the saying im sure they actually did get that 40k in new work as well
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Keeping my personal views out of this: A person's sexual orientation would not affect whether or not I would service their property.

So, I can't really say if it was a good or bad business decision. BUT, I support the company's right to make that choice, and if that's what they decided to do, I wouldn't fault them for it.
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

The last time I checked money is money. I dont care if my customers are gay, lesbian, straight, blue, red, purple ect. money is money it all spends the same. Besides just because it worked out for them doesn't mean it will for others. I don't know about everyone else out here but I keep my personal oppinions to myself and maybe a few friends but leave it out of my busn. Who needs more headaches then we already have.
  8. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

They say they got a bunch of new business but they are probably B.S>ing to save face. It's hard to believe that kind of pub being a good thing