1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Good Buy or Not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikbro, Jul 3, 2008.

1. mikbro

mikbro LawnSite Member

I am thinking about purchasing this Scag Walk Behind Mower. It has a 48" deck plus the engine was just replaced. He is asking $750 for the mower. Does this seem like a descent price?

2. Tim03

Tim03 LawnSite Member

What year is it?
    Have you tried it out?
    Have you looked it over real good? Will anything else need fixing in the near future?
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds okay that engine probably cost about that much...but 14HP is on low side for 48". Check the spindles for play and run thru all the gears and if okay not bad deal.
  4. mikbro

mikbro LawnSite Member

ed2hess, when you say the 14 hp is on the low side for a 48", is that something I should be worried about?
  5. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

Hard to say. I wouldn't have put another Kawasaki on it if it needed a new motor. ed2hess has the right idea, because rebuilding spindle assemblies is pretty darned expensive.
    Any bearing surface should be looked at (Front caster sleeves and bearings, drive shaft bearings....) for slop, welds for cracks and spindles for wobble (Bent spindles ain't good) but in the overall, the motor cost that much.
  6. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

7. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I would jump on it a new spindle assembly complete is only about $80 parts are cheap for that mower as long as it shifts good you will get a good buy
  8. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just looking at the fact that there are no grease stains on it in areas where there should be.
  9. mikbro

mikbro LawnSite Member

Guys, Thanks for your input. Even though this mower doesn't have an hour meter, I was just wondering what is considered high hours on commercial mowers?
  10. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

Where I'm from the high end is around 1500+. There are guys on here with machines that have well over that many hours (3000+) and their machines are still running as strong as the day they bought them. That would be the exception and not the rule around here. I don't wanna be that guy who pulls up to a jobsite and can't get his mower to start. It doesn't look good and if the customer is watching then confidence on your reliability is going to drop. So around 1000 hours is the rip time to get rid of your machine for a respectable drop on what you bought it for.