1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Good bye 277C

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcat_ron, Apr 16, 2013.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Good bye beloved 277C, you worked hard in all conditions we put you through, you toiled for many hours with an operator that would rather have a Japanese name to play with, you worked effortlessly and tirelessly and gave use very little pain at the diesel pump, you loaded the taller side trucks with only a few crunched side boards, and even when you put up a fight with me and allowed a slab of concrete to land on the front window, you still performed. You were kind and gentle on your operators in times when we weren't being careful, and yet you still persevered.
    You showed us and others that a suspended undercarriage can work on all conditions and made a lot of people very jealous.
    But alas, we must move on, for you see, although we enjoyed your smooth ride and low ground pressure from your ASV undercarriage, we could not foresee keeping you longer beyond your undercarriage's useful life span, you were always hard to keep clean and you cringed at the sight of demolition jobs and coarse gravel. But for all you put up with in your short and brief 762 hours, you still performed, flawlessly.
    And for that, we thank you, and I salute you.

Some pictures to remember you by.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alright, I get a little emotional sometimes, cut me some slack, I put 95% of those hours on that machine knowing what it could do.
    And here's what we replaced it with, it was a quick deal and we didn't want to wait 2 months for a D Series.

Giddyup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I sure love vertical path loaders now! And Cat made some changes to the hydraulic circuits too, much faster bucket and loader cycles and no pressure spikes on the loader float release and down pressure, and it pushed like a locomotive. I also noticed it would pick up track speed after the anti-stall pressures went down after clearing through a tough spot, the previous C's had this annoying "creep" mode they would get stuck in after the anti-stall kicked in and you would have to stop, and start pushing again to regain more track speed.
    The XPS system will also open more doors later down the road.

2. swanny

swanny LawnSite Senior Member

do you like the position of the loader arms along the sides better than the 277c?

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Its so pretty.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. bobcat_ron

There seems to be more visibility to the sides when the arms are at level, but overall nothing major as far as what I'm used to with the 277C, both models are identical as far as machine size, just the weights go up on the 289.
    But I will say this I REALLY missed the sounds of rocks getting chewed up in the rollers and getting caught behind the idlers, if I heard that noise from the MTL, I'd be looking for chunks of rubber and plastic left behind. :laugh:

5. excav8ter

excav8ter LawnSite Member

They wouldn't get a Taki for ya? :laugh:

I do like the looks of the Newer Cats, but everytime i try to get in one I am reminded why i won't buy one....They are not built for a tall person, and i can't stand the swing out door.

6. bobcat_ron

I've never had any issue with the door, except when it breaks, then I miss it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Ron we also went with an update. Cat 299C not new 2011,200 hours(high flow).Still have the Deere.

It came with a Cat mulcher head and 87" bucket.Thought it was a miss print ,but measured the bucket and it is 86" to the insdie of the bucket.

Maybe it is a flare from the factory!

8. Stick Pro

Stick Pro LawnSite Senior Member

What made you go with the 289C2 and not the 299D. Nice looking machine, we do not miss our mtl we had, and love the ctl, of ours.

9. bobcat_ron

299D was heavier and more money with a 2 month waiting list ar best. Time was at the utmost importance.
    Posted via Mobile Device