Good Candidate for a Refacing? Pics

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Apr 25, 2009.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

These are either poored concrete forms or super huge pavers and they've been here at least 20 year's... maybe a hundred, IDK. But they arent moving or setling anymore, 4 inches thick, and currently have a maximum of 1/2 inch of height difference between block's.

I've never done a reface but obviously it would be wet construction. What do you use? Thinset? Thinking of facing this with 1/2 or 3/4 inch flag.

I dont think it's nesessary to remove them.

planter 004.jpg

planter 005.jpg

2. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

ummmmm

right?
    you don't even know a concrete sidewalk when you see one?
    tearout and pour new!

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

what the hell are you talking about?

4. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

Quote: "They are either pour concrete forms or huge pavers" end quote.
    tear out the old sidewalk, pour new, put flagging on new! how hard is that.

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

what? very hard! Why the "F" would I tear that out and pour a new one? It's already there... If I tore it out to do flagging why would I put another concrete walk back in?

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

and why are you quoting me, they are either poured concrete forms or pre-poured and brought in like that, like a paver.

7. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think those are pre-poured slabs. The main issue I see you having with using the existing concrete is unevenness. Those slabs are pitched all different directions. You may be able to get the flagstone perfectly level, but it's going to be a challenge. I see what you are saying about the settling being finished, but I don't think I'd want to lay on top of what's there.

8. bullet4547

bullet4547 LawnSite Member

shouldn't be a problem with 3/4 or 1" flag.clean the surface and set with type s masonary...make a full bed of mortar...

9. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

I agree they were most likely poured right there, the part that makes me wonder is them being poured in 4 seperate forms rather than just one and then cut the stress cut's... I just realized why as I typed this, I bet the cutting equipment was not as readily available as it is today and this was probably done by a home owner.

welcome to the forum bullet. That's pretty much what I had in mind.

10. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

IMO I'd tear it out.
    If you do leave it you will have to have control joints in your flagstone to match the ones in the concrete, these slabs will move with freeze/thaw.
    I use 3 parts sand to 1 part portland cement for this type of thing.