Good Chainsaw?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I know poulans and garbage like that stay away from, but are Echos ok?

I have echo/redmax equipment currently, im looking at a 44cc cs-440 echo 18" chain saw, just always worries me that home dePot sells them, makes me "feel" like its not commercial grade. Ill be using this on and off for smaller jobs clearing debris more than anything large scale. What do you guys recommend?

Ive used them in the past but never noticed how many CCs, ive used sthil , poulan, crapsman etc.
  2. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

Echo is OK. Buy it from a servicing dealer.
  3. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Echos are fine saws. It should run for a long time as long as you keep a sharp well oiled chain on it and a clean air filter. I'm a big fan of Stihl saws. I think a MS260 or MS260 Pro would be a great choice. It's got a little more displacement at 50cc. The echo is a good saw but the Stihl will last you the rest of your life if you take care of it.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Stih,echo,redmax,shindiawa,husqvarna there all top ope.l
  5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

one bought at a home depot wouldnt be warrantied through any echo dealer? I may go to another dealer a little farther away i deal with in PA, i dont think their prices are as good though. home depot is $300 for a 44cc echo chainsaw, most other places are $349.00. Same with the larger models well over $400. $50 is $50. ill see what they can do though, ive bought numerous high priced items there.
  6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Whats wrong with Poulan Chainsaws??? I have had a 'Wild Thing' 18" going on about 9 years now and have used it extensively through 2 hurricanes amongst other normal less demanding work...The ONLY problem I have had was the chain oiler which was $14/repaired (parts & labor)...I do not hesitate to recommend the Poulan...Of course the proper gas/oil mix is critical as is with any 2 cycle...
  7. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I'd buy from the dealer. think of that extra $50 as an investment in peace of mind should something break on the saw. the dealer will fix it under warranty without problem or hassle. saws bought at home depot, at least in my experience they want you to pay for your own repairs, even if its brand spankin new.

Oh Splicer, poulan is JUNK. they jet them too lean at the factory, which results in the motors not living as long as many other home owner grade brands even. I see TONS of poulans on ebay, literally that are ok appearing saws, but suffered lean seizures from the fuel/air mix being too lean. whats worse, is you cant adjust the damned carbs because even a hairs movment and it wont run right again.
    they're just more hassle than its worth for a saw.
  8. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree. i'm not a logger, but i bought my 16" in 1996 and have abused the crap out of it and it won't quit. same thing with oiler, but no big deal. when i start cutting down old growth forests for a living, i'll spring for a big, nasty stihl or whatever, but that isn't happening anytime soon.
  9. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Echos and Huskys are great. I love my Husky saw(s), but have gone through a few of them. One was a manufacturing defect, so it was replaced for free, but other than that they are great. Not so good doing brush, but what saw is? I also think Poulan's are great. My dad had one for 17 years, bought it at like KMart, did regular maintenance on it, and then sold it for $100 when he bought a new Husky.
  10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i borrowed an echo from one of my custermers once-it was a better saw than i expected