Good Chipper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Aug 23, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Ok, looking for a good quality chipper that can handle 2 to 3" diameter tree limbs. Not looking for anything huge, just something small. Is they anything out there that is small that can handle something like this without the huge price tag???:confused:

2. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Vermeer, troy.........

3. Wreak

Wreak LawnSite Member

I saw a Troy Bilt at Home Depot yesterday that looked pretty good but it didn't have a price. Then I keep seeing those DR Chipper commercials all the time and drool everytime. I signed up to get a video tape...man, those things are pretty strong. But expensive.

4. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

Problem with the DR that I see is that they don't self feed. Once you get into a self feed, the price tag really goes up. Without the self feed, you will have to pay someone to bay sit the machine. I also am looking for a chipper. HELP Please

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used everything from the Bandit's up to some Gorrilla that has a 4-53 Detroit diesel on it ( can't remember who made that one, Wood Chuck maybe? )...The self feed is deffinately worth every dime you pay for it, even if you don't use the thing all the time...and the more hp the better.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

like I said something not big. I know Bandit and Morbark, right here in Michigan. Been down to the Morbark factory many times, but those are too big for me

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe a dosko then? they are on the small side...look tough. I also saw a Bearcat at the Houston expo this weekend, it looked pretty good too, but it too, is probly bigger than you need...

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

There is one name when it comes to chippers. BANDIT. I have used a couple of chippers. Bandits will out chip anything. But even their 6" model is probably way to much machine for you.

9. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a Tomahawk chipper a year and a half ago and it is great. 12 hp B& S and takes up to 4" limbs. Paid 1250. from northern tool co.

10. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Does it have self feed? Self feed is great for vines and prickers. That is what I wind up having to chip alot of the time.