Good Collection Service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jan 30, 2005.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Can anyone recommend a good collection agency?

I've tried suing people. I've got judgements against two folks. They're as worthless as the paper they're printed on.

I just want to make sure these people have a black mark on their credit.

Basically, I don't even care if the collection service calls them or even sends them a letter. Just as long as they can leave a bad mark on their credit history...that's all I want.

Thanks,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I know you have a problem with collecting your money, but have you ever thought about taking credit cards as payment? If the card doesn't clear, it is going to leave a bad mark on their credit history. I know with my bank I get a bad mark on the credit and I have to pay a fee for it not clearing.

3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

if you have a judgement, go to the sherrif's or magistrate and file an order of execution.
    the sheriff's office will impound and sell thier stuff and you will get your money.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you should have filed as a criminal theft, like i advised you to.

5. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

why lose sleep over it,what does it prove if you black mark their credit,count it as a leason learned and move on(quit crying)...you don't need them

Its gonna happen we all get screwed once in a while.....FORGET IT

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

http://www.olddebts.com/ I have not used them yet, but for $20 you get 4 letters sent and report to 3 major credit bureaus.

7. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

In TX there is an amount ($150,000) I believe that is exempt from "criminal theft" that is protected under the homestead exemption act. Basically this states we (as LCO) cannot collect on amounts that would affect the livelihood of the individual that owes you the money, even if you can prove they own you the money. I have been to small claims court and they (had to got to a mediation, before I was able to see the Judge, which cost and additional $50.00, but had no choice) have stated passing a judgment and collecting a judgment are two different thing. If the dead beat does not pay after the judgment has been passed against them, I would have to file another case and take it to court to attempt to collect the previous judgment.... ha what a joke. If they did not pay the first time, why in hell would they pay a second time.....

All in all to file a case will cost you $19.00 (if the court summons is delivered by registered mail) or $65.00 if you have a officer deliver it to the house. These are you only two options, you cannot deliver it in person. Then due to the "lower claim" value you are normally mandated to go to a mediator, which is another $50.00 (per person, so if they do not pay the mediator, then you win the case). This person is not a lawyer (in most cases) and attempts to keep it out of the court system and settle out of court.

Then after all of this there is still no money and no way to enforce the payment of the monies, so basically you are out an additional monies.

Just Mow It does it another way, but I have not had must luck on finding out how he goes about this....yet.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You beat me to it.

9. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

If you cause a black mark on their credit history, next time they want to buy a new car, rent an apartment...whatever...they'll probably have to get all their old debts paid first.

The problem is, if you don't turn it over to a collection agency, it doesn't ever make it on to their credit history.

I'm told that the judgements I have on two people will be automatically picked up by the credit reporting agencies. But I've also been told that if I don't file the judgement with the county clerk, the credit reporting agencies never see it. I'm also told that I should be able to file the judgements as liens against their homes, but when I try to do that the lady at the county clerks office makes me feel like I'm the only person in the world who has ever tried something like that. I'm tired of guessing and wasting time on money I'll probably never collect. Besides, the time required sue people and file stuff with county clerks and show up in court just isn't worth it. Not to mention the fees you have to pay.

I give up with trying to do it myself. Small claims court in Texas is absolutely worthless. But the credit reporting agencies have teeth.

I'll give olddebts.com call tomorrow.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I had to go this route with a lawyer I was suing who didnt even show up for the court date (even after he rescheduled).

This sherrif did not mess around. I got a letter stating all of the items that were tagged. A 2 year old car, computers, furniture etc.

I received payment in full including late fees and court costs 2 days before the sherrif auction was to take place.

Although its a very long process, smalls claims court has always worked like a charm for me. I have won 100% of the time even without a signed contract.