1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Good commercial 21" mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ALEX'S LANDSCAPING, Mar 12, 2012.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Senior Member

I think that I will buy the Honda hrx216 with smart drive (homeowner machine)
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I'll be curious to hear how it works for you. Consumer reviews aren't always that useful. People tend to report more negative experiences than positive ones. There are always going to be lemons in any massed produced item.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. classy

classy LawnSite Member

I have the Toro, that has a Honda engine. A tad above $1200 out the door. Extremely reliable. It mulches or bags, no side discharge. I don't own any side discharge mowers, which I use as a selling point to customers, as I am far less likely to throw debris around. I'm not a fan of the twin blade, I used to own a Honda with that system, and gave it to a family member (homeowner version). Truth is, until it comes down to lasting the longest, we can all cut well with a properly adjusted "Murray". Quality of cut I'd say is probably %90 Operator Skill Level.

There are 2 snapper 21's out now, the commercial in the $900 range, and the homeowner in the $600 range. When asked, the salesman says the only difference is in the BAG and the WHEELS. Plastic wheels vs. rubber. If most of your mowing occurs with a 21, by all means buy a commercial. I have a 48" Walker, my $1200 21", RARELY (can you feel the anger) comes off the truck. Looking back on the way I do business I'd have bought that homeowner model in a heartbeat.

I hope this gives you some help in your choosing.
    Put it like this: I'd love to take my Toro 21" in to have it fixed, service, anything, it's been 5 years, thing still looks almost new..... fact is though it's so reliable it's boring, lol It was still a great investment, even if it only gets used 5 or so times a week.
  4. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two brand new honda commercial mowers, (4-5 months) and the mulching capabillities are awesome. bagging is super mega ultra good as these mowers will bag puddles. I've done tall lawns (knee to hip high) and raise the front all the way up and leaving the back on the regular cutting level and set the speed to "creep" and done 10,000 sf+ lots in little time only having to go over it once. best 21 I've ever used.

Before I upgraded, I had an exmark metro 21, an old honda commercial and a honda homeowner at the same time. The exmark got left in the garage in favor of the homeowners model, and both hondas would start with one "pull", (you could choke it,stiffen your arm and simply stand up straight and they would start 1 pull). the brand new hondas kick their ***.
  5. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have the honday homeowner unit. It is about 4 seasons old and holding up well. I had to replace the wheels on it last year, and the pull starter but otherwise its solid and still cuts great. Im guessing it has around 500-600 hours on it. Im planning on replaceing it sometimes this year with the toro 30" mower.

I wish that I could get the commercial but my dealer does not carry it so instead I have to get this one: HRR2166VKC

honda mower.jpg

-Steel deck
    -Honda exclusive smart drive
    -160cc Honda OHC engine

honda mower.jpg

Boing....... Boing....... Boing......
  8. mikeypizano

mikeypizano LawnSite Senior Member

Personally I would ask if he could get in the HRC for you.
  9. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

Here's an option you never new existed!
    Introducing WORTH brand Self Propelled Commercial Mowers.[​IMG]

Aluminum Deck
    Briggs 850 Engine

We've even got an introductary SPECIAL going on right now.
    You can buy 3 of these mowers for $479.00
    and only $10 to ship anywhere in the 48 States.

I'll give ya a link to check out some more info.

Any Questions, give me a call!

Landscaper Pro
    1-800-222-4303 ext. 124
  10. mikeypizano

mikeypizano LawnSite Senior Member

Honda is only one I will ever consider. I never see anyone around here with anything else so Honda must be doing something right!