1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Good Commercial Spreaders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brogers, Mar 24, 2001.

1. brogers

brogers LawnSite Member

I wanted to get everybody's opinions on the best spreaders for commercial lawn care. I have been buying my spreaders from AllaboutLawns.com for over a year now and have found the Earthway spreaders to be the best.

Does anybody know of another spreader that works better then Earthway? Just curious -

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I own and use an Earthway chest type spreader and really like it. It can be a little heavy to carry but I don't have to worry spilling product on rough areas and on hills and slopes. I can spread as fast as I can walk. It costs me less than $100.00 including shipping.
  3. klite

klite LawnSite Member

I have a PBS Prize Lawn Spreader, and it works fine for me for fertilizer or salt and pelletlized lime.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've only ever used Lesco spreaders. I probably won't switch because all the Lesco products say what setting to use. It can't get any easier that this.
  5. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Around here everybody uses the Lesco spreader and I do too. The other nice feature is the defector kit which allows you to close the third hole and lower the deflecter and not lose hardly any product while applying to the curbside strip. It also has a nice rain top cover for when you are applying and it starts to rain or is drizzling. The spreader is also all stainless steal and will last for a long time. The spreader also comes with a calibration gauge and when you buy a Lesco product it just has a number on the bag and you just set it with this gauge. The reason for this gauge is that if the spreader wears sometimes that letter they used to use is off ,but if you use the gauge it is always the same.
  6. Daren

Daren LawnSite Member

Just bought the Lesco Spreader this week and was really impressed with it. Like Jrodgers said, it comes with a calibration guage to calibrate it and all their fertilizers have the settings on the bag. Deflector and rain cover are really nice, especially the deflector, I have some small areas with alot of sidewalks and works well.

7. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Is their an internet site to look/buy at Lesco spreaders their website leaves alot to be desired....Thanks & Peace
  8. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

We have had Lesco stainless since the start five years ago, they work excellent and there are all the extra items you can add to them. I bought a spreader to fit a Zero-turn (or walk behind) from them two weeks ago with an electric motor and will mount soon to see how well it works.

Lesco would be my pick for parts availability and ease of use. Don’t ever cheat your self this is your living not your hobby.

Mo, mo, mo. yo self quickly to de bank!
  9. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Does anybody own the earthway c24R? I am in the market for a new spreader. I only treat about 25 lawns... the lesco is definitly my first choice but its 340 bucks... the earthway i mentiones is 189 at alamia (over a hundread bucks cheaper than anywhere else ive seen). Should i really spend the extra on a lesco or will the earthway do me fine? Keep in mind that i have spent Alot of money in ther last year... thats the only reason why im trying to save money by going ith the cheaper one....
  10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Just did the same, it works great, here is a photo: http://www.unionturf.com/lesco_spreader.jpg