Good complete hedge clipper discussion

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Envy Lawn Service, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, we talk about mowers and blowers and such all the time. But we don't talk about hedge clippers all that much really. I've done several searches over time and haven't really came up with any good in-depth discussion.

I find this odd because there are soooo many different options out there these days.

Now who really cares about the BRAND NAME. Sure it has to come up. But that's not what I'm after. Let's talk about styles, capabilities, features, durability, weight, balance, ease of use, vibration, and so forth as well as what various clippers are best suited to certain work.

So anybody game to talk?

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

From what I've seen majority always say go redmax/shind

I went with an echo. I don't do alot of shrub trimming, but when I do I get tired easy with the bigger heavy units. I wanted a commercial quality light trimmer. Shind only had a homeowner model that was light, their smallest commercial was pretty heavy and over 125 dollars more then the echo, that had a little to do with getting the echo also. So far after one year of use, I haven't had a problem with it, it balances well, the weight is very light. Only drawbacks, its pretty loud compaired to others i've used and the blades seem to be dull, I have to take it back over the winter here and have that tended to.

3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The core of our hedge trimming is accomplished my using extended length trimmers,with a few chainsaw types thrown in for tight spots up against buildings.The extended length type,result in much less operator fatigue for the workers.And it is eaiser on their backs, without the constant bending down required for chainsaw type trimmers.

4. Envy Lawn Service

kc2006,

Which Echo model?
    150? 160? 180?

5. Envy Lawn Service

Bill,

Extended huh? Do you do mostly big and tall hedge rows, ect?
    Just curious.

Also, have you considered the short reach type at all?

[​IMG]

6. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I got a Maruyama the other day. Any opinions? They are supposedly the lightest.

7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I have found the Echo HC150i to be very user friendly. I also have the articulating hedge trimmer attachment for a Echo PAS-260, it is handy but a bit tiring to use IMHO.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I don't do very much hedge trimming, but use a 24" double reciprocating bar (brand does not matter), and an attachment on my string trimmer, zero-degree angle (22" double reciprocating bar). However, I wish I also had the extended reach model, like the string trimmer engine configuration, but with a 36" (?) tube. Such an addition would save me time and energy in moving ladders or planking. The long unit (string trimmer attachment) is too long, cumbersome and heavy for some situations, and the 24" bar unit is too short. I don't do enough work to justify the expense of yet one more piece of gear.

Therefore, my ideal lineup would be three units.

I don't have need of the chain saw attachment, or articulated unit.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Roger,

Yeah, I understand what you are saying. I don't understand why they don't make a combo-clipper. Split shaft trimmer power source with the short reach attachment, and then some extension tubes or whatever.

10. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

envy,
    We trim all shapes and sizes,and have found two sizes of what I call extended ,takes care of the majority of our requirements.