Good customer bad customer...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike payne, Feb 20, 2002.

1. mike payne

mike payne LawnSite Member

What makes a good or bad customer in your judgment? I have customers always pay on time but I bid too low, my fault. My goal is to drop the 5 lowest profit accounts every year and replace with 5 more profitable accounts. Is this a good business practice?

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Just raise the price to match the profit margin you expect. If you keep but one of them, thats one less you need to replace.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Quote: What makes a good or bad customer in your judgment?

Many factors make up a good customer.

To us, the most important thing we want in a customer is to have them actually care what their lawn and landscape look like.
    They must be willing to understand that mowing in the spring is essential every 7 days, will take at least one aeration a year, hedges trimmed and fresh mulch applied in their beds. (Fertilization and proper watering is a definite plus)
    The more they care about their yard, the more service we can sell them. $$$
    In my opinion, at least in our local area, building up these types of customers is not something that just happens overnight. It has taken us awhile to acquire these kinds of accounts.

Someone that just wants their grass hacked down so they can find their dogs poop to scoop is not a good customer and one that we don't want. (We had these kind of accounts in the beginning. Slowly and surely they are falling by the wayside.)
    We still keep a few of these, the ones that are priced extremely right. :D Reason being, we know we won't make any other money off of them besides the mowing so the price must be right.

And yes I agree with Bill. If you don't mind servicing the lawn and just want a healthier profit, then by all means try adjusting the price, before canning the yard.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

a good customer to me is somebody who realizes you are in a business, and you cant live out of a cardboard box to satisfy them at the cheapest price. a good customer pays within two weeks they receive a bill, maybe offer a cold drink every now and then, and drop a compliment at least once a year.
    a bad customer is somebody who constantly bitches about costs, ways of doing things and always trying to beat you out of a buck. i recently dropped two customers because i had to suprise them on a sunday to get paid, and i still got jipped out of $75.

5. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I would just as soon drop a high profit yard if the customer is a pain in the a$$, and keep a low profit yard if the customer is kind, appreciates your work and easy to work for. Start pricing your new accounts high to offset the lower priced accounts.

LAWNS AND MOWER