1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Good Customer - Out of my area

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gene $immons, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

When I first started in this business, I advertised over too large of an area. One of the customers that I still have from back then is a great spender, never any problems etc. but it is becoming harder to get to their side of town. It usually takes us 30 to 40 minutes to get there one way. I just don't know if it is still worth it. This customers rates are a little higher already, but after subtracting my guys time, fuel costs, etc. It is probably no more profit than any average lawn.

What is a good option?
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Pound that area with advertising. That's all I'm doing this year for advertising (besides yellow pages) is pounding flyer's out in neighborhoods with good customers in, close and far. I have a couple good customers like you mentioned that are out of the way, but are good paying and generate extra revenue. I'm just going to try and obtain more people in the area so when I drive to them I can spend more time servicing more people in the area.

It would be foolish in my eyes to just give up on them without trying to grow the clientele in that area first.
  3. What about approaching some of your competition in the area you want to stay in. Tell them you have a great customer, lets say he pay’s $60 a cut. But you’ll trade him for a $40 customer that’s closer to where you want to stay. Of course, you’ll have to clear it with both customers. Just a thought.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have one just like this. I was thinking about the same thing for this season. But...3 days ago I got a call from one of her neighbors. Looks like I will be picking it up in April when her current contract runs out. With these 2, others will start coming in. It is the most elite subdivision in Memphis. So stick it out but call the customer and tell her you need to find some other work around her. She might start looking for you. Try other things before you drop her.
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Since you like the customer I would advertise in their area to pick up more customers near them. I would also offer your current customer an incentive to tell neighbors about you. This will be a win for both of you. You get more people in the same area cutting down on travel time and the original customer gets something like a free cut for giving you a new client. Best of luck to you.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think referrals are the best way to get new business. And it's real easy to do. Simply ask this customer if they know of anyone who could possibly use your service. I wouldn't drop this customer just yet. Play it out.
  7. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys. I will try picking up more accts. in the area.
  8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Try to pick up accounts in that area. I would even ask the customer for referrals to help you out. If you can't pick up any houses, then find a reputable company in their area you can recommend. this way the customer sees you are going out of your way for them. It looks good on your behalf as a business man. :cool: