Good Customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nelbuts, Sep 6, 2005.

1. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Well today received a check in the mail from one of my northern customers. He had written it for an additional $10 saying that the extra was for the rapid increase in fuel costs.

Now how many of you have had that happen? Honestly.

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

had 2 customers raise their rates $5 each.

3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

None yet but I have recieved a $100 and $150 bonus this year from two seperate customers.

4. WarEagleCRL

WarEagleCRL LawnSite Member

had a few give me $5 extra without me asking

5. MOJOmowers

MOJOmowers LawnSite Member

Nearly all of my residential accounts (~60) have included an additional $3-5. These are small lawns and this adequately covers my newly rising costs. But, I have to give the members of this site the credit for that because I have applied their advice to my business practices and worked hard to educate customers about the variety of services offered and the rising cost(s) of operation. Thanks everyone!!

Commercial accounts are another story.

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

had one last year offered to pay $5 more each time. old man in richest neighbor in town. said he knew my costs were going up from gas, etc. we always did such a good job for being in & out in 10 minutes. his wife had just died and he eventually moved out of state.

7. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Have a customer that has tipped me $3 to $8 every week this year ! :angel:

8. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

I mow a yard for a taxi driver and she tips me $5 every time!

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

See I been telling you guys, it really does work like this and it is a GOOD feeling to know that once you've got a hand-selected base of regulars, it's really hard to beat that with anything in the real world.

Just had one today is giving me an extra $10, another one also increased by 5 voluntarily. This is what I mean about leaving the price increase Optional, for a FEW Lco's it works where they can increase their whole customer base but when I do that, I always lose a few at best, several at worst.

Then, that extra 10 - 15 dollars (and more than 1 or 2 will kick in, usually it's about 10 percent in the end) from just those few already is great relief and is again why I advise against an across-the-board increase when you got such great folks out there.

There is one time when I force the increase, and it's when between factors such as location / actual work / current rate AND how the customer treats me indicates to me that I really don't care if I lose this customer or not, at that point I will force a 5-dollar increase so as to fix the problem but usually it doesn't fix the problem in any other way other than soon I don't have to deal with it anymore, heh.

But yeah, it's very nice and helps restore my faith in mankind considerably.